? 's about FiOS install.
steel1212

Hi!

I'm getting FiOS installed next week and have a few questions?

1.Your TV will us coax-cable?

2. Internet can use TV-coax-cable or cat 5e,6?

3. Phone uses your existing line or  how do they hook phone up?   

4. If internet can use cat. cable or TV coax which is the best to use?

5. If I install Cat.cable what wiring scheme should I use 568A or B?

I have no Cat Cable installed at all in my house I would rather use this if its better than coax. How much install will the TECH. DO?

THANK's      

Ray

0 Likes
Re: ? 's about FiOS install.
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

@steel1212 wrote:

Hi!

I'm getting FiOS installed next week and have a few questions?

1.Your TV will us coax-cable?

2. Internet can use TV-coax-cable or cat 5e,6?

3. Phone uses your existing line or  how do they hook phone up?   

4. If internet can use cat. cable or TV coax which is the best to use?

5. If I install Cat.cable what wiring scheme should I use 568A or B?

I have no Cat Cable installed at all in my house I would rather use this if its better than coax. How much install will the TECH. DO?

THANK's      

Ray

1.  Yes it will use coax for the tv service

2. This depends on the setup, how most installs go the same coax used for the tv will go into the back of a router supplied by Verizon, from the router you use ethernet (unless wireless of course) for internet

3. Nothing should change with your phone lines

4. All computers will connect with cat-5 (ethernet) from the router to the computer.  The only difference is you could have either coax going from the wall into the router or ethernet from the wall into the router (bringing the signal to your router).  Normally techs will set it up so it is coax from the wall to the router so the only place you will use ethernet is from the router to your computer devices.  Some people prefer using ethernet from the wall to the router since it leaves their options open in case they want another router.  Else you are stuck with the Actiontec/Westell

5. I would probably say A instead of B.

As far as what the tech will do, I'd suggest, just because it is a lot more stable, to simply get an electrician to wire your house with ethernet.  Else you'll be on wireless.  If there is no ethernet in the home he might run some but I don't believe Verizon snakes cables through walls so it would be best to get a contractor to do that work.

Re: ? 's about FiOS install.
prisaz
Legend

DzWR gave good answers.

Here are links to the installation information websites. I am an Ethernet Internet nut, so I prefer Ethernet and COAX to my router from the ONT. Right now Verizon's router is only running as a bridge and I use my own router. I guess it depends on how much of a tech type you are.

Internet

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/Installation/Installation.htm

TV

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSTV/installation/installation.htm

Message Edited by prisaz on 04-07-2009 08:46 PM
0 Likes