self organizing network woes
jefrec27
Enthusiast - Level 2

I followed the Verizon email instructions to implement SON.  Once done, I noticed my 5GZ wifi network did not disappear as Verizon said it would. Also, the My Fios app says there is an "error" getting SON status.  So it was a fail for me.  I disabled SON and am back to manually choosing between 5 GHZ and 2.4.  Does anyone have a diagnosis for why the SON implementation didn't work?  (PS- I did reboot the router after implementing SON but to no avail.) 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: self organizing network woes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can try to manually do it through your internet browser by going to myfiosgateway.com and login to the router. The admin password is on the sticker on the side. 

Once logged into the router go to Wireless settings > Advanced Security settings >  Other Advanced Wireless Options > Yes then set Self-Organizing Network Enabled to On scroll down and click Apply.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can try to manually do it through your internet browser by going to myfiosgateway.com and login to the router. The admin password is on the sticker on the side. 

Once logged into the router go to Wireless settings > Advanced Security settings >  Other Advanced Wireless Options > Yes then set Self-Organizing Network Enabled to On scroll down and click Apply.

jefrec27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for that suggestion.  Before I do that, I already attempted to toggle on the Self Organizing Network on the My Fios app without success (as the app said it was unable to access SON status.)  Will I have a different outcome if I turn on SON via a browser?  

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Definitely. If you do it via the browser you are manually logged into the router's interface to make the change. There is probably just an issue with the My FiOS app. 

jefrec27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. It worked in that it enabled SON. Strangely though, I still shows both 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ wifi options instead of the single choice Verizon said would happen after turning SON on. And I can still freely choose between the two.  However, things are working on my end so all is good. 

jefrec27
Enthusiast - Level 2

Turns out it was my wifi extender continuing to split the two channels and offer it as a wifi option.  When I turn my extender off, the 5 GHZ option disappears as Verizon said it would.  Of course, that defeats the purpose of an extender, so I'm going back to the pre-SON settings.

StevH
Enthusiast - Level 1

To eliminate the "extra" (non SON) networks reset the extender (find reset button and hold in).  Then pair again with the FIOS router (using WPS button on the extender first then within 2 minutes push WPS button in on FIOS router).  That will have your extender (I use an Actiontec router as an extender in 2 locations) extend the SON network.  

When complete you should show the single network (under whatever you named it) and a Guest network (with same name) if you set that up.  

You then only have to reset every device under that network (... good luck remembering every device) choosing the network name and adding the network password.  (unless your device can re pair using the WPS button)

wolfmama1

I tried following your instructions because the app just says my router is not available. But when I get down into Other Advanced Wireless Options, there is no SON option. Could this be because I didn't purchase my router from Verizon? I received an email from them saying they had pushed the software upgrade, but I can't find anything related to SON anywhere. Thanks!

0 Likes
BillK11

Same issue here. I bought the Frontier router and cannot find any SON settings. Some things are connecting but others say the router is not responding. Even when I try to connect to the 2.4 Guest network some things will not connect.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have a Frontier flashed router then it would be unlikely to have SON. You won’t get the firmware updates from Verizon if it has Frontier firmware. 

0 Likes