Re: setting up a mac (email/internet) to work with fios
traj00
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had to use outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

That's because I chose yahoo.  If you chose aol, I assume it would be similar.

Traj

0 Likes
bailey

no, that's the message:

Cannot send mesage using the server

outgoing.verizon.net

The sender address (my email - and yes, it's correct) was rejected by the server

outgoing.verizon.net

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

0 Likes
bailey

i'm not on yahoo or aol, it's my verizon.net email address.

when i click on "connection doctor" it shows a green light at the top for

Connection status: mail was able to connect to the internet.

the status symbol just keeps spinning for logging in to account.

there's a green light for the status for outgoing.verizon.net - details: connection to server succeeded; login not required.

the three test messages i've tried to send (from my email to my own email address) are still sitting in the outbox.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@bailey wrote:

i'm not on yahoo or aol, it's my verizon.net email address.

when i click on "connection doctor" it shows a green light at the top for

Connection status: mail was able to connect to the internet.

the status symbol just keeps spinning for logging in to account.

there's a green light for the status for outgoing.verizon.net - details: connection to server succeeded; login not required.

the three test messages i've tried to send (from my email to my own email address) are still sitting in the outbox.

Your verizon.net email address can still be a verizon/yahoo address that requires the alternate servers. Try logging in with your full address (username@verizon.net) and password at verizon.yahoo.com - If you are able to log in here, then your account is partnered with Yahoo.

This part of your post may be the problem: "connection to server succeeded; login not required" - Both the regular Verizon servers and the Verizon/Yahoo servers DO require login to allow you to send. There should be an option in the settings to change this, and you use the same login info for outgoing as you use for incoming.

0 Likes
bailey

not sure i'm understanding this -

i went to   verizon.yahoo.com and tried to sign in with my  user@verizon.net email address and used the password that gets me into these forums - the message i get is: 

Invalid email.
Please try again

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@bailey wrote:

not sure i'm understanding this -

i went to   verizon.yahoo.com and tried to sign in with my  user@verizon.net email address and used the password that gets me into these forums - the message i get is: 

Invalid email.
Please try again

Sounds like your account is NOT a Verizon/Yahoo account then. That means outgoing.verizon.net is the correct server, and you should probably be looking for the setting to authenticate. I don't have a Mac, but I'll see if I can get a better description of what you're looking for in Mac Mail. (I'm assuming you are using Mac Mail, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

*EDIT* Verizon's support gives this page for setting up your email on a Mac. Not sure if this is enough info for you or not.

**EDIT** Apple offers a Mail Setup Assistant that might also help you.

0 Likes
LizJ
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think the problem may be that the user tried to use the Mac Setup Assistant and the email setup was incomplete.

If you are using the Mail problem that comes with Mac OS X (little stamp icon on the dock), go to the top menu and select  Mail > Preferences. Then select the account that you need to edit (likely the only one if you've just set up the computer). Make sure your mail address and password are entered correctly, and that your mail server is set to incoming.verizon.net. On the Outgoing Mail Server drop-down, select "Edit STMP Server List" - if you don't see "outgoing.verizon.net use the plus sign to add it. Click the Advanced button and make sure the Authentication is set to Password, and that your User ID and Password are entered in the settings. Save your settings and exit out of Preferences.