setting up wifi for first time
Zoshie
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm sure this info is available somewhere but I don't know where.  I am wired to my router with an ethernet cable and just got a blu-ray player so I want to have wifi,  but I don't know how to make the change.  Where should I look?  Thanks for help.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: setting up wifi for first time
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look at the bottom of your router for a sticker. That sticker will contain your Network SSID as well as your WEP Key that the router is configured with out of the box. Use those two pieces of information to connect the Blu-Ray player. Wi-Fi is enabled by default on the Verizon routers, and your Wireless light on the front of the router should be lit up green to signify that.

If you are unable to connect the Blu-Ray Player, there is one thing that we suggest doing here, and that would be to change the Wireless security setting to a stronger, but more recent form of encryption. That would be called WPA2-PSK AES Encryption, and it works a lot better than WEP for securiing communication. If you need help with changing this, just let us know and we can do a step by step setup of that.

View solution in original post

Re: setting up wifi for first time
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look at the bottom of your router for a sticker. That sticker will contain your Network SSID as well as your WEP Key that the router is configured with out of the box. Use those two pieces of information to connect the Blu-Ray player. Wi-Fi is enabled by default on the Verizon routers, and your Wireless light on the front of the router should be lit up green to signify that.

If you are unable to connect the Blu-Ray Player, there is one thing that we suggest doing here, and that would be to change the Wireless security setting to a stronger, but more recent form of encryption. That would be called WPA2-PSK AES Encryption, and it works a lot better than WEP for securiing communication. If you need help with changing this, just let us know and we can do a step by step setup of that.