should either one ethernet or coax broadband always be connected in an actiontect 424 rev.g?
sonnoio
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was reviewing the Verizon FIOS post titled "Entering DNS settings in the Actiontec MI424WR router to opt out of DNS Assistance", when I noticed a difference with my actiontect 424w rev g settings. In my case, I do not have any broadband connection with the status "connected", either the coax or the ethernet. My fios setup uses coax from the ONT (Verizon installation) to the router. I have disabled the wireless router section and use an apple airport capsule for the wpa wireless. I also have a couple of actiotects in bridge mode for providing ethernet ports to two tivo boxes and a desktop. Everything works but I wonder if by miracle not by design...Based on my reading, if the coax input is connected to the actiontec, then by definition the connection to the internet is via coax to the ONT, and the settings should indicate a "connected" broadband connection. Am I correct? I have assumed that the other two bridges are neither the network controller for my installation. TY for the help

0 Likes
Re: should either one ethernet or coax broadband always be connected in an actiontect 424 rev.g?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

IF you have TV service the coax MUST be connected.  One or the other is always needed to use your Internet connections although by default for speeds below 100 mbps they usually leave you connected via coax.  For speeds above 100 they connect you to the Internet over Ethernet. So if you are previsioned for Ethernet and have TV service BOTH must be connected.

0 Likes
Re: should either one ethernet or coax broadband always be connected in an actiontect 424 rev.g?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It sounds like the OP does have coax connected from their ONT to his router, yet the Actiontec setup page, Network Connections, isn't showing Ethernet/Coax or Broaband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) as "Connected."

If I'm understanding their post correctly, I'm at a loss why Connected isn't being shown yet the router apparently is connected and working properly.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hope this is of help to you.

M1424WR  Rev F with WPA2

From Traffic Monitoring screen on Router

Netwrk(Home Office),Ethernet,Broadband Connection(Ethernet),Coax,Wireless Access Point...ALL CONNECTED

Broadband Connection(Coax)...CABLE DISCONNECTED.

ONT feed into house is Coax.

My FiOS Service 20/5 After Free Speed Upgrade DOWN 30.83 Mbps  UP 27.83 Mbps  Latency 11 ms

Server NY NY 71.252.0.12

0 Likes