Switch Account

slowdown

Contributor shaintscruffy
Contributor
Message 1 of 5
(1,048 Views)

Every evening our internet slows and nearly stops.  We can't stream.  We can't load pages.  My son's PS4 loses connection and lags.  Every device in the house using the wi-fi just comes to a complete stop.  Sometimes, only sometimes, resetting the router helps a little.  We pay for 75mbps and last night after another reset we were able to get only 39.62 with frequent hiccups.  

4 REPLIES 4
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 5
(1,014 Views)

@shaintscruffy wrote:

Every evening our internet slows and nearly stops.  We can't stream.  We can't load pages.  My son's PS4 loses connection and lags.  Every device in the house using the wi-fi just comes to a complete stop.  Sometimes, only sometimes, resetting the router helps a little.  We pay for 75mbps and last night after another reset we were able to get only 39.62 with frequent hiccups.  

Call 1-800-VERIZON speak to a customer rep to check if you are provisioned properly.

you do have FIOS fiber optics and not DSL? Just want to make sure.

it maybe you have to have Verizon either reset your router and ONT remotely or send out a repairman. 75/75 should be faster on both upload and download around 82/85 and not down to those levels.

Is your internet via coaxial or ethernet? You never said. Try my suggestions first and see what they say.

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 3 of 5
(1,003 Views)

What router are you using? Speeds like that suggest you're using 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi. A 5Ghz wireless connection will typically perform better (ignoring the issues the FiOS G1100 Quantum Gateway is currently having).

Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III
Message 4 of 5
(985 Views)
I have the exact same issues. I pay for 100/100 with the latest router but in the evenings my (ethernet wired) download speed falls into the 25-35 range (with hiccups as well) while the upload speed remains around 100. Calling Verizon is an exercise in futility in that you'll be on the phone for hours before someone actually addresses the problem.
Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 5 of 5
(982 Views)

It could be a function of network traffic (not necessarily on Verizon entwork).

Id you run test to speedtest.verizon.net, do you see subscribed speeds?

Or is even that slow? If that test is slow, then contact Verizonf or them to investigate.

More than likely, it is a network congestion issue.

Verizon, like most other ISPs, only guarantee access speed to their network.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.