splitting coax cable to network extender
unodos3

Hi all,

I have a coax line going to an upstairs bedroom, which feeds into a Fios Network extender.

I want to add another network extender downstairs.  Can I simply cut the coax cable going upstairs, add a splitter, and attach to a new network extender?  I have never cut cable and added terminators before.  How easy is it?

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: splitting coax cable to network extender
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@unodos3 wrote:

Hi all,

I have a coax line going to an upstairs bedroom, which feeds into a Fios Network extender.

I want to add another network extender downstairs.  Can I simply cut the coax cable going upstairs, add a splitter, and attach to a new network extender?  I have never cut cable and added terminators before.  How easy is it?

Thank you

Yes that will work. It's pretty easy just search online for installing an F compression connector on RG6. I got a cheap Kline kit from Home Depot that works pretty good. Also make sure you get a good MoCA 2 port splitter. 

0 Likes
unodos3

Thanks!

Is the Moca 2 splitter from Fios recommended?  can I get a similar one from Amazon?  Also what type of coax cable is best?

i have a gigabit connection btw

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any MoCA splitter will do and honestly most 1000 MHz splitters will work fine too. But just to be safe I would get a MoCA rated splitter. RG6 tri or quad shield cable will be the best for your situation. 

0 Likes