terms of service, web server
nomenclator

Do the terms of service for the new quantum fios internet, allow you to operate a web server on your connection? If the ip istn't static you could always use one of those free services (i forget what they are called) that keeps checking you ip address and makes sure you domain name remains associated with the correct ip address.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: terms of service, web server
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dynamic DNS is the term I think you're looking for. I use one, and it does come in handy.

As far as running servers is concerned, I used to run one from home and never got yelled for it, but that was back in the day of not having Port 80 Inbound wide open. I still run the occasional game server from time to time but that is something anyone with a console already does (I use PC). What I ran for web was a small site that eventually got moved to a dedicated server, so it didn't generate too much traffic and was nothing more than a Blog, Forum, and a place I'd use to send very large files to friends on a one-off time. It is still against the ToS unless you get Busines Service + Static IP, which quantum is currently not available with at the moment but that's about it. Just be aware though if you choose to run a web server on a residential connection against the ToS, if the site starts to generate a good amount of traffic or if there is something illegal on the site, Verizon will certainly enforce that part of the ToS.

So, to wrap things up, the answer is No, and I'd say you're best off either getting Business service + Static IP if you really want to host from home a web server, or consider getting a cheap but reliable web host in a Datacenter to do the load.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dynamic DNS is the term I think you're looking for. I use one, and it does come in handy.

As far as running servers is concerned, I used to run one from home and never got yelled for it, but that was back in the day of not having Port 80 Inbound wide open. I still run the occasional game server from time to time but that is something anyone with a console already does (I use PC). What I ran for web was a small site that eventually got moved to a dedicated server, so it didn't generate too much traffic and was nothing more than a Blog, Forum, and a place I'd use to send very large files to friends on a one-off time. It is still against the ToS unless you get Busines Service + Static IP, which quantum is currently not available with at the moment but that's about it. Just be aware though if you choose to run a web server on a residential connection against the ToS, if the site starts to generate a good amount of traffic or if there is something illegal on the site, Verizon will certainly enforce that part of the ToS.

So, to wrap things up, the answer is No, and I'd say you're best off either getting Business service + Static IP if you really want to host from home a web server, or consider getting a cheap but reliable web host in a Datacenter to do the load.

0 Likes
nomenclator

Thanks Smith6612.

I've been using cheap, reliable, web hosting services for years now. Upload speed of home broadband services always seemed too slow. But now with the speed at 50mbs down 24mbs up the speed seems fast enough so I thought I'd ask.

According to cpanel my web site along with  "add-on domains" are totalling about 500 mb per month of "bandwidth tranfer." Alexa.com ranks my main site as the 9 millionth most popular site in the world, and as having 26 sites with links to it.  I'll probably leave my sites at a hosting service as its only $11 per month, including ssh access as well as http and ftp access. But I was wondering if that 500 mb would be noticed by verizon. I mostly want to do it on my own computer because I took so many networking courses and I hate practicing setups of networks that aren't going to have real world usage. I know I won't get the practice I need, if it is only a lab setup instead of a real world setup.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 500MB of usage won't be questioned by Verizon if capacity is plentiful. They really wouldn't care. I used to do a few Gigabytes a month off of a 128kbps upload connection via DSL on Verizon before I moved it to a server. Never heard a peep. I know of people doing Terabytes a month (10TB+) of upload on FiOS and not hearing a peep from Verizon. The reason they don't permit servers is for legal and security obligations, and also for the sake of others, to prevent Denial of Service attacks against the network due to someone running a web server that was chosen for attack (this is more of a Game server thing than a website problem, but it still does happen).

0 Likes
LNL

agree with u

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As others have stated, as long as your not hosting the next YouTube you'll be fine. Pretty sure its only when your site uses an insane amount of traffic (10 TB or more) that Verizon steps in and asks whats up.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes