trying for 3 yrs to get fios. alwys unavailable. end of my rope. ideas?
friedberg
0 Likes
Re: trying for 3 yrs to get fios. alwys unavailable. end of my rope. ideas?
prisaz
Legend

Keep going to the availability web site and checking then ask to be notified. If you are in an area that has it near by, or is currently an area that is partially built out, you may have a chance. Verizon had announced that they stopped expansion and were only building out in areas already started.

By the way, don't let go.Smiley Wink

Re: trying for 3 yrs to get fios. Always unavailable. End of my rope. Ideas?
friedberg

I have been going to this site for three years. I have asked to be notified but have received nothing but radio silence. I am not happy with the DSL and if I can not get the Fios then I will switch to Cable. Since the only reason I keep the landlines is for the

DSL then I would be giving up on Verizon completely. If someone could say that we are going to have it for you in three months or at least give a realistic time frame then Id be interested in staying. Otherwise the information is really limited and unsatisfactory. I have been checking an waiting for too long. this is unprofessional and frankly kind of strange. They spend so much advertising the Fios but I do not know anyone in New York who has had an easy time getting it and most have not been able to . Is there a higher level of customer support that I can go to?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@friedberg wrote:

I have been going to this site for three years. I have asked to be notified but have received nothing but radio silence. I am not happy with the DSL and if I can not get the Fios then I will switch to Cable. Since the only reason I keep the landlines is for the

DSL then I would be giving up on Verizon completely. If someone could say that we are going to have it for you in three months or at least give a realistic time frame then Id be interested in staying. Otherwise the information is really limited and unsatisfactory. I have been checking an waiting for too long. this is unprofessional and frankly kind of strange. They spend so much advertising the Fios but I do not know anyone in New York who has had an easy time getting it and most have not been able to . Is there a higher level of customer support that I can go to?

Sorry to hear you can't get FiOS because it is not available to you. I guess if you decide to go to cable it will be a decision you made because you feel it is your best option. There are faster versions of DSL up to 7.1mbps which is probably slower than most cable modems. I would say that being on DSL I may have made the decision to switch to cable. But 6 years ago cable was not all that fast. Now I have been on FiOS for 5+ years, I would not switch. Decide on what you feel is best for you and give it a try. If at some point FiOS becomes available to you you can get it at that time. Read the link below and perhaps look for faster DSL. What ever you decide I hope you are able to get the service that is best for you.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/Verizon-s-Commitment-to-DSL-Network-and-Customer-Servic...

Re: trying for 3 yrs to get fios. alwys unavailable. end of my rope. ideas?
JustaGuy
Contributor - Level 2

After 3 years it's long past time to move on.  You are not happy with the service - then why keep it?  If Cable can provide you better, then go.  When FIOS reaches your home you can reconsider.  My guess, however is that if you continue to pay them for NOT reaching your home they may not get there.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

If you've been waiting 3 years, I'd say time to move on. Verizon has never put out a time table for rollouts. Its a frequently asked question here on the boards but it always has the same answer, you will not know it is coming until they start construction in your neighborhood. There is no advanced warning.

Now if they started construction on your street today, and it follows the average install rate, it would become available for you to purchase in 3 to 6 months. But that is about as much notice as you will get.

People are constantly asking for some sort of time table, any sort, but Verizon steadfastly refuses to provided any information about what areas will be getting the FIOS and in what time line. The Official word is that they dont do this for competition reasons. They dont want the competition from going out and locking people into long contracts just before FIOS goes live. From a business standpoint this makes sense. But from a customer service standpoint, it just upsets potential customers.

But bottom line is that there will be no way of knowing. You'd likely be better off on cable for now so you can get the best speeds possible until FIOS becomes available.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If I can quote you out of context, spacedebris, the key part of your reply to the OP is "time to move."  Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

These aren't lifelong commitments ... I review my services annually (unless forced to take a two year term).   I go with the service provider that gives me the most value for my money and who can meet my uptime and throughput requirements.   Right now ... that's FiOS. 

Verizon and every other service provider knows that ... if they start bleeding customers because cable is offering a better package than DSL, then either the DSL prices will drop substantially or there will be motivation to install FiOS service to an area.  

It was the same way with cable until FiOS came to town ... locally you couldn't get anything faster than 3/1 service on cable (compared to 1/512 DSL which was available in my neighborhood) until FiOS rolled in.  Customers switched in droves and suddenly the cable company started offering 13/5 kinds of plans at near the same price and now have even faster plans.

So ... what happens next?   FiOS steps up with their new 150/50 plans although that's still out of reach for many in terms of monthly costs.   But ... just sit back and watch the fireworks.