turning off internet at night
rotovap

My teens stay up too late on the internet. Is there a way to turn off the fios internet every evening at 10?  Ideally I'd like to do this through some setting instead of unplugging the router.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: turning off internet at night
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, the Verizon routers have "parental controls."  They do exactly what you're asking about.

Parental controls are accessed by logging into the router's administration page.  If  you've never done this before, find the label on the router with the admin password.  Then, click here while on a computer connected to your home network:
http://192.16.1.1

If you have the new Quantum router, you can also manage parental controls from the "My FiOS" app on a phone.

If you can't figure out how to setup the blocks you want, post back with the specific model of router you have.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, the Verizon routers have "parental controls."  They do exactly what you're asking about.

Parental controls are accessed by logging into the router's administration page.  If  you've never done this before, find the label on the router with the admin password.  Then, click here while on a computer connected to your home network:
http://192.16.1.1

If you have the new Quantum router, you can also manage parental controls from the "My FiOS" app on a phone.

If you can't figure out how to setup the blocks you want, post back with the specific model of router you have.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
rotovap

Thanks, but I'm having trouble with the username and password.  I've tried unsuccessfully my verizon user name and password.  I also tried various combinations of the following three listing on the router.  

ESSID

WEP KEY

WPS PIN

Any ideas?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If you have an older model of the Actiontec router, try:

userid:  admin

password:  password (or password1)

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@rotovap wrote:

Thanks, but I'm having trouble with the username and password.  I've tried unsuccessfully my verizon user name and password.  I also tried various combinations of the following three listing on the router.  

ESSID

WEP KEY

WPS PIN

Any ideas?

If password or password1 doesn't work try the router serial number.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The password used to login to the router is not the WiFi key nor your Verizon.com credentials.  The default password has changed with different router versions, so we need to know what model of router you have to be able to tell you how to find the password.  On newer models it is printed on the router's label.

The username is always "admin".

Please tell us what model of router you have.  Something like "Actiontec Rev I" or "Actiontec Rev F" will tell us a lot.

Thanks.

0 Likes
rotovap

Router model: MI 424 WR Ref F

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

With user id admin, try using the router's serial number (not the MAC address) on the back of the router as the password.

0 Likes
NoleGirl2

Would this parental control apply only to a particular device (ie, my daughter’s iPad) only? Or would my husband and I be left without internet, too?

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes