Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

turning off internet at night

SOLVED
rotovap
Contributor
Contributor

turning off internet at night

Message 1 of 10
(18,484 Views)

My teens stay up too late on the internet. Is there a way to turn off the fios internet every evening at 10?  Ideally I'd like to do this through some setting instead of unplugging the router.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gs0b
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: turning off internet at night

Message 2 of 10
(18,475 Views)

Yes, the Verizon routers have "parental controls."  They do exactly what you're asking about.

Parental controls are accessed by logging into the router's administration page.  If  you've never done this before, find the label on the router with the admin password.  Then, click here while on a computer connected to your home network:
http://192.16.1.1

If you have the new Quantum router, you can also manage parental controls from the "My FiOS" app on a phone.

If you can't figure out how to setup the blocks you want, post back with the specific model of router you have.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
gs0b
Gold Contributor VII

Message 2 of 10
(18,476 Views)

Yes, the Verizon routers have "parental controls."  They do exactly what you're asking about.

Parental controls are accessed by logging into the router's administration page.  If  you've never done this before, find the label on the router with the admin password.  Then, click here while on a computer connected to your home network:
http://192.16.1.1

If you have the new Quantum router, you can also manage parental controls from the "My FiOS" app on a phone.

If you can't figure out how to setup the blocks you want, post back with the specific model of router you have.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

rotovap
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 10
(18,455 Views)

Thanks, but I'm having trouble with the username and password.  I've tried unsuccessfully my verizon user name and password.  I also tried various combinations of the following three listing on the router.  

ESSID

WEP KEY

WPS PIN

Any ideas?

eljefe
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 4 of 10
(18,451 Views)

If you have an older model of the Actiontec router, try:

userid:  admin

password:  password (or password1)

Telcoguru
Gold Contributor VII

Message 5 of 10
(18,430 Views)

@rotovap wrote:

Thanks, but I'm having trouble with the username and password.  I've tried unsuccessfully my verizon user name and password.  I also tried various combinations of the following three listing on the router.  

ESSID

WEP KEY

WPS PIN

Any ideas?

If password or password1 doesn't work try the router serial number.

gs0b
Gold Contributor VII

Message 6 of 10
(18,406 Views)

The password used to login to the router is not the WiFi key nor your Verizon.com credentials.  The default password has changed with different router versions, so we need to know what model of router you have to be able to tell you how to find the password.  On newer models it is printed on the router's label.

The username is always "admin".

Please tell us what model of router you have.  Something like "Actiontec Rev I" or "Actiontec Rev F" will tell us a lot.

Thanks.

rotovap
Contributor
Contributor

Message 7 of 10
(18,367 Views)

Router model: MI 424 WR Ref F

eljefe
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 8 of 10
(18,362 Views)

With user id admin, try using the router's serial number (not the MAC address) on the back of the router as the password.

NoleGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Message 9 of 10
(4,028 Views)

Would this parental control apply only to a particular device (ie, my daughter’s iPad) only? Or would my husband and I be left without internet, too?

GaryDM
Moderator Moderator

Message 10 of 10
(4,021 Views)

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title