uninstalling FIOS.......
pooholla

hello anybody,

i've run into a problem. for about four or five months i had fios internet installed on my laptop at my boyfriend's apartment. now he's moved out, and i am in an area that does not service fios. SO i'm trying to get my laptop connected to the internet through comcast at MY apartment where there is already a desktop connected just fine.

i've used the same router before with the same two computers and it worked just fine, which leads me to believe that the reason i can't get on the internet is bc fios is still on my laptop and somehow that's interfering with the router..? i called comcast and they believe that's the case, too. i tried looking for any fios/verizon program on my laptop last night to uninstall it, but nothing came up when i searched. so i'm clueless.

if anybody has any ideas on what to do to get my laptop online i'd raelly appreciate it!

thanks!

alexis

ps - my router is a linksys WRT54G v.3

0 Likes
Re: uninstalling FIOS.......
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't think any verizon software on your LT could give you such issues else you would never be able to travel with it so need a little more info than you gave

The linksys is connected by an ethernet cable from the comcast router to the linksys wan port? and you are trying to connect to the linksys by wireless?

You entered the correct key for the Linksys to allow wireless connection?

What IP address does your laptop show? Do start, run, cmd and type ipconfig /all and hit enter

0 Likes
pooholla

i am trying to connect the linksys wirelessly.. there is only one ethernet port on my comcast modem.. and that is going from the modem to the desktop comupter. i feel like i've tried every combination from the modem to the desktop, modem to the laptop, modem to the desktop with another ethernet cable from the router to the laptop, desktop, etc etc. this is driving me crazy. i'm not a genius with computers, but i'd like to think i'm competent enough to set up a wireless network in my home.. i've done it before.. so i have no idea what's happening here.

i don't know, however, if i entered the correct key for the linksys router to allow a wireless connection. i wouldn't even know what the correct key is or how to find out.

my laptop shows the ip address 192.168.2.101

the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

and the default gateway is 192.168.2.1

thanks for your help so far!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to connect the single ethernet port on the comcast router to the wan port on the linksys router.

Then you can connect the desktop machine to one of the 4 lan ports on the linksys.

Apparently you are running the linksys router "open" so you can connect wirelessly to it which will give you internet access.

You said

my laptop shows the ip address 192.168.2.101

the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

and the default gateway is 192.168.2.1

which shows that the laptop is getting an address from the linksys router OK, at least I assume it's getting it from the linksys - does the comcast modem have wireless access also?

From that address it would appear the linksys router default local address range was changed to accomodate the FIOS router default address so the above setup should work OK.

Let us know.

0 Likes