upgrade from 75/35 to 150/65
edgong1

we just installed FIOS last week a new install.  we have the newer actiontec router rev I and cat 6 cable from the ONT to the router.  We are now thinking about upping to the faster plan.  Does a tech need to come out to do anything or can i just upgrade online?

0 Likes
Re: upgrade from 75/35 to 150/65
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@edgong wrote:

Does a tech need to come out to do anything or can i just upgrade online?

That depends whether you're on BPON or GPON.  If you're on BPON, a tech will have to swap out the ONT.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If you are on BPON they will need to install a splitter on the PON to the GPON OLT, and Install a GPON ONT at your location. If they are willing to provide the GPON upgrade at their cost in the C/O with the splitter. If you have others that are demanding GPON, you may be in a market where they are willing to spend the money. But not in mine. It is my understanding for the truck to come out, and switch the ONT from a BPON to GPON, there is also a charge for the tech visit. Upgrade cost $75. The only way to go from 75/35 to 150/65 if you are on BPON. 

Like me, you may be in a location that is limited to BPON. 75/35. Unless they offerd you highers speeds prior to your install.

Now I have heard of people getting the Verizon Business side to do an upgrade to business class 150/35 at the stand alone Internet rate of $200 a month, and perhaps then you may not incur an upgrade fee.

Make sure you keep us posted on your success or failure to get the upgrade. Also it would be interesting to know where you are located.

Best

0 Likes
edgong1

From what I can see, my router is the latest model and the ONT box appears to be the Alcatel Lucent model. It does have an ethernet jack inside the box but my modem is hooked up to the coax.  Is it safe to assume i would just need to attach an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you know specifically what Alcatel model of ONT you have? I'm pretty sure half of them are ones that used to be ran on BPON networks and then there's a few they have that run on GPON. If we can get the model we can see what you've got. That, or a picture of it would work too.

0 Likes
edgong1

I think the model is either ALCLF3A90F4C OR I-211M-H WITH A MANUFACTURE DATE OF 06/2012

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

What are the different models of ONTs? That looks like its already GPON. so no tech needed

prisaz
Legend

It looks like all that will be required, is for them to re-provision your service for 150/65. And switch it to Ethernet. If you do have the latest and greatest ONT.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@edgong wrote:

From what I can see, my router is the latest model and the ONT box appears to be the Alcatel Lucent model. It does have an ethernet jack inside the box but my modem is hooked up to the coax.  Is it safe to assume i would just need to attach an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router?

It looks like you may be 100% correct. Verizon would switch the ONT IP to Ethernet, and change the provisioning to 150/65. I would invest in decent a CAT6 cable, and not use CAT5e even though it would probably work OK. Being a new install, they should have run the cable to one location for you, providing you were going with 150/65 which requires Ethernet. But I do not believe they would do any fancy fishing of wires through walls. If they come back out there may be a cost, but you could check.

0 Likes