upgraded FIOS internet to 50/25 and now slower
mgoodwin091

I recently upgraded my internet service from 15/5 to 50/25 and it honestly seems slower. I ran several speed tests yesterday and averaged 12/10 with some coming in at 9/5 and 10/8. It's extremely frustrating as FIOS is supposed to be incredibly fast, and I upgraded it to help the speed issues, and now it's worse. Please help VERIZON!!

Also why is there no chat service or direct phone line?

0 Likes
Re: upgraded FIOS internet to 50/25 and now slower
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mgoodwin09 wrote:

I recently upgraded my internet service from 15/5 to 50/25 and it honestly seems slower. I ran several speed tests yesterday and averaged 12/10 with some coming in at 9/5 and 10/8. It's extremely frustrating as FIOS is supposed to be incredibly fast, and I upgraded it to help the speed issues, and now it's worse. Please help VERIZON!!

Are you testing from Wireless? Make sure you're checking everything from a Wired connection first, so you can identify the problem as Verizon or just with the Wireless.

Also, all of the support information can be found on your bill or by clicking on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom fo every Verizon website. That's for both live chat and the 1-800-VERIZON number.

0 Likes
hixtex

Try the test using speedtest.net

From TX to WA my 50/25 plan recorded 57/39

0 Likes
mgoodwin091

I tested wirelessly through speedtest online website. The router is from Verizon and was located 10' from where I was sitting. i did it several times last night and this morning. Same results. The hard wire connection is in an awkward closet as the way the Fios system was installed and meant to be was wireless. I previously lived in another building that had Fios and it was super fast and the router was located in a similar situation. The internet is not only affected on my laptop, it's extremely slow on my iphone/ipad and apple tv. I even turned off teh cable tv last night so to bump up the internet speed, whcih was a trouble shooting idea. Still doesn't work. Bottom line is the connection is very slow and I would like it to be fixed. 

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@mgoodwin09 wrote:

I tested wirelessly through speedtest online website. The router is from Verizon and was located 10' from where I was sitting. i did it several times last night and this morning. Same results. The hard wire connection is in an awkward closet as the way the Fios system was installed and meant to be was wireless. I previously lived in another building that had Fios and it was super fast and the router was located in a similar situation. The internet is not only affected on my laptop, it's extremely slow on my iphone/ipad and apple tv. I even turned off teh cable tv last night so to bump up the internet speed, whcih was a trouble shooting idea. Still doesn't work. Bottom line is the connection is very slow and I would like it to be fixed. 

Do not use wireless to test the true speed of your Internet connection.  You may be seeing wireless interference that is slowing your wireless speeds.  Suggest you get an app that displays all wireless channels and select one in your router that has no other system on it. Apple products are known to not perform well when the WiFi channel is in used by other systems.

Turning of FiOS TV has no impact on your Internet speeds. 

0 Likes
Rushfan3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another thought. When was the last time the modem/router was rebooted? When I went through the change, I noticed my services were slow as well, but after I did a remote reboot to the modem/router, my speeds were higher, even though I, too, tested wireless.

My only difference is that I switched from 25/25 to 50/25, so it's possible that I might not see a complete difference, but when I used a remoting program to send my mother's PC a file, I noticed the difference immediately.

0 Likes
mgoodwin091

i re-booted my modem last night, have tried multiple testing possibilities, downloaded broadband tuner for mac, etc. all testings have come at 8-12 download and 5-10 upload. on my iphone i tested it to and got a 2.52 down and 0.78 up. i only have connected my laptop, apple tv that only operates when i throw a movie on or connect my macbook, my iphone and my gf's iphone, all of which are not very intensive. before getting this service in other places with time warner and even fios it was super fast in all cases using the above mentioned electronics, plus a few others. 

i'm surprised no one from Verizon has reached out?

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

The reason why people are asking you to test with a hard wired connection is so that we can determine where the problem is in the first place. Sometimes there may be networking equipment that needs to be changed in order for you to get fios quantum 50 speed. but we wont know if it is a problem with network equipment until you test with a wired connection. If we find that the problem is ONLY with wireless then we can go forward with some wireless troubleshooting. It is possible you may just need to change your wireless channel number. Or it could be that there may be some performance issues with the router you have, lots of different things need to be looked at. I would recommend calling technicall support when you have your computer hard wired to the router so that they can properly identify the problem. 

Oh also this is a big one for alot of people. Before you call in try testing on a different web browser or better yet reset your web browser to its default or upgrade your browser to the latest version. Sometimes there are add on programs (like yahoo tool bar etc) that may cause problems and slow speed down. Just a thought.

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

Oh also there is a known issue with the actiontec routers if they are set to wifi channel 6 they will be really slow, make sure it is not on channel 6 (you would have to know how to log into your router settings or just call tech support)

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mgoodwin09 wrote:

Via a wireless connection your speed will at best only be fractionally faster, the reason being that the router you have is most likely a 54g router

The only way to make use of that higher speed is to use wired connection.

Try moving the router to somewhere more accessible to your devices.

0 Likes