using fios internet with a macintosh network
nkplt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currrently am with Charter cable. I have a wired network with an internal wirelss setup for my laptops. I connect to the internet  with a wired linksys router and cable modem setup. If I go with fios will I be able to maintain my wired network. I have several computers  but one of them does not meet their requirements. Not a big deal since I don't really use it on the internet but I want to maintain my network so I can use it internally. Is this possible with the fios setup? 

Thanks for the info 

0 Likes
Re: using fios internet with a macintosh network
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
While I do not have FIOS, see this other thread...

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=2919
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

The answer to your question is YES.    The verizon-supplied router is a network router, same as the lynksys, that also has wireless, same as the lynksys.  The Verizon routers are still wirelessG, and they have a built in Network interface module for your video service to use (if you are also getting verizon video)[this will have no affect on your networks]. 

Your experience would be either that you just have just a coax connection to the router from the verizon ONT (optical network terminal), or you may have both the coax and the ethernet cable from the ONT to the router, OR you may only have the ethernet cable from the ONT to the router.    

The only difference any of this will make is that IF your router ever goes bad and you have to wait for Verizon to ship you another one (they ship via overnight UPS), if you do not have an ethernet connection from the ONT to your router, or if you do not know how to get a network interface module that can attach to the coax cable that has an ethernet jack on it that you could then run the ethernet from - to the router, you may be without internet until the new one gets there. 

0 Likes
nkplt
Enthusiast - Level 2
ok, thanks for the help. I am still not sure if I will go with Verizon but this helps me make my decision better. 
0 Likes