using leviton router
koichirotaru

Hello,

I am very interested in ditching my current DSL provider for Fios. However, before I do so I want to make sure Fios will work with my current setup.

I am in the process of wiring my house with cat5e going to a structured wiring closet in the basement. I am setting up a gigabyte LAN in my home using Leviton's Gigabyte router and switches.

Is it possible to connect the Fios modem directly to my own router and bypass whatever router verizon provides (ie just use the modem functionality of the Fios withouth the router)?

I don't think it would work to connect my gigabyte router AFTER verizon's router.

Thanks-

0 Likes
Re: using leviton router
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

all you need to do is disable dhcp on that router you already have and then connect it to the fios router, the fios router will run on coax cable to get internet.

0 Likes
koichirotaru

If i do this, will my LAN still run at gigabyte speeds?

I was assuming that verizon's router is not a gigabyte router so my entire LAN would therefore not function at gigabyte speeds anymore if I diable the gigabyte router I currently have.

Is this true?

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

your gigabit would work computer to computer but internet speeds would cap at the speed you purchase which will probably be 25.

Also if you are worried you can change your router to a 10.10.1.1 ip and it can run dhcp.

0 Likes
koichirotaru

Ya, all I want to be sure of is that computer to computer would be gigabyte speed. In essence then, I would be using the Fios router and then using my secondary router as a switch only if I understand correctly.

Thank you so much for the help. Much appreciated!

0 Likes
koichirotaru

One more question....

I was doing some research on the actiontec router. The MI424WR apparently supports network speeds up to 100mpbs. So, if I use this as my primary router, and disable my current 1000mpbs router, my network will only function at 100mbps speeds. Is this correct??

Thanks

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To do what you want to do, you can do one of the following:

#1 You could have the Actiontec behind the leviton router.

#2 You could replace the Actiontec and use a NIM-100.

#3 OR you could put the Actiontec into bridge mode.

Besure to read

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

because there are different trade offs.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@koichirotaru wrote:

One more question....

I was doing some research on the actiontec router. The MI424WR apparently supports network speeds up to 100mpbs. So, if I use this as my primary router, and disable my current 1000mpbs router, my network will only function at 100mbps speeds. Is this correct??

Thanks

Correct

I have a question for you. Are you planning on having Fios TV? Or just internet?

If just internet, Then I would ask the install tech to run ethernet from the ONT to your network closet and take the Verizon router out of the loop altogether and just use your own equipment.

If you are going to have TV. I would still ask for the ethernet to be run along with the coax. Then just get a Motorola nim 100 and use it for the TV system, again taking the verizon router out of the loop.

Either way, this would allow you to run what ever equipment that you want in the house. I prefer third party equipment, but then, thats just me.

0 Likes
Donald_Linbin
Contributor - Level 1

that's why you need to change that router to 10.10.1.1 so you can network your computers with the gigabit speeds.

0 Likes