verizon fios router (G3100) login not secure
xkexk8
Enthusiast - Level 1

I get a not secure message when trying to access my router settings.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: verizon fios router (G3100) login not secure
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's because Verizon uses a self-signed certificate that is not registered with the Certificate Authority(CA). It is just your browser telling you to be cautious because it doesn't recognize the certificate. It is perfectly safe to login because it is your local area network(LAN). However, if you ever see that when connecting to a website exit out immediately. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's because Verizon uses a self-signed certificate that is not registered with the Certificate Authority(CA). It is just your browser telling you to be cautious because it doesn't recognize the certificate. It is perfectly safe to login because it is your local area network(LAN). However, if you ever see that when connecting to a website exit out immediately. 

xkexk8
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks.  Seems like something Verizon should fix - doesn't provide much in the way of perceived security.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It’s actually not just a Verizon thing. It is quite common for routers and other network access devices to have a self-signed certificates which will give that browser warning. 

BudgetCloth23

So where would I get the cert and add it to remove this annoying block 

0 Likes
BudgetCloth23

So where would I find this very and how would I use it too allow me into my router I’m obviously not tech savvy 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The router's certificate is self signed, which means there is no root certificate to import into your root certificate keystore.

The way around this is to tell your browser it's a safe site.  It will remember that setting and the next time you visit the router's web page, it won't complain.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes