vpn setup to a mac server
rickycr1

I have a mac server running Mavricks server.  I setup VPN access on the machine.  i have no issues at all connecting inside my network.  I have an actiontec router model MI424WR-GEN3I with firmware 40.21.18.  i setup the following port forwarding rules on the router:

when i try to connect using my external IP address, i get the message that the L2TP-VPN server did not respond.  I even tried putting my server in the DMZ zone, so its fully exposed. got the same error message.  What am i doing wrong here?

0 Likes
Re: vpn setup to a mac server
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What port does your VPN Server live on currently? Port 1701 or are you trying to run it on Port 4567?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Port 4567 is a reserved port - it's fios tech support back door to the router.

What does ~4567 actually indicate?

I have an OpenVPN server running on my network.  I too can access it with no issue from inside but have totally failed with outside access.  I too have tried it in the DMZ and still no access.  I keep meaning to contact OpenVPN and ask them how it's done.

My OpenVPN server is the downloadable prebuilt VHD that you can attach to to a VM in Hypervisor.  Works fine and only needs a 256kb virtual machine.

0 Likes
rickycr1

I am not sure what port my server is listening on. Whatever the default port is for a mac server running VPN.  How can i tell which ports my server is listening on?

I just setup on my router the L2TP and VPN preconfigured ports as i believe that is all that is needed to ge VPN to work behind a router by actiontec.  do i need to add something else?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rickycr1 wrote:

I am not sure what port my server is listening on. Whatever the default port is for a mac server running VPN.  How can i tell which ports my server is listening on?

I just setup on my router the L2TP and VPN preconfigured ports as i believe that is all that is needed to ge VPN to work behind a router by actiontec.  do i need to add something else?

Maybe this Apple support link will help you
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944

You could install a sniffer to check which ports are being accessed.  Wireshark has a Mac version for download.

0 Likes