Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

vpn setup to a mac server

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

vpn setup to a mac server

Message 1 of 5
(1,324 Views)

I have a mac server running Mavricks server.  I setup VPN access on the machine.  i have no issues at all connecting inside my network.  I have an actiontec router model MI424WR-GEN3I with firmware 40.21.18.  i setup the following port forwarding rules on the router:

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 3.45.10 PM.png

when i try to connect using my external IP address, i get the message that the L2TP-VPN server did not respond.  I even tried putting my server in the DMZ zone, so its fully exposed. got the same error message.  What am i doing wrong here?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: vpn setup to a mac server

Message 2 of 5
(1,298 Views)

What port does your VPN Server live on currently? Port 1701 or are you trying to run it on Port 4567?

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 3 of 5
(1,279 Views)

Port 4567 is a reserved port - it's fios tech support back door to the router.

What does ~4567 actually indicate?

I have an OpenVPN server running on my network.  I too can access it with no issue from inside but have totally failed with outside access.  I too have tried it in the DMZ and still no access.  I keep meaning to contact OpenVPN and ask them how it's done.

My OpenVPN server is the downloadable prebuilt VHD that you can attach to to a VM in Hypervisor.  Works fine and only needs a 256kb virtual machine.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 5
(1,226 Views)

I am not sure what port my server is listening on. Whatever the default port is for a mac server running VPN.  How can i tell which ports my server is listening on?

I just setup on my router the L2TP and VPN preconfigured ports as i believe that is all that is needed to ge VPN to work behind a router by actiontec.  do i need to add something else?

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 5 of 5
(1,204 Views)

@rickycr1 wrote:

I am not sure what port my server is listening on. Whatever the default port is for a mac server running VPN.  How can i tell which ports my server is listening on?

I just setup on my router the L2TP and VPN preconfigured ports as i believe that is all that is needed to ge VPN to work behind a router by actiontec.  do i need to add something else?

Maybe this Apple support link will help you
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944

You could install a sniffer to check which ports are being accessed.  Wireshark has a Mac version for download.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.