want to use my own wifi router

want to use my own wifi router

SOLVED
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 1 of 34
(46,460 Views)

What would i need to do to make the current verizon wifi router as dumb as possible? I want to use my own router as I already have everything configured on it the way I want. I just want the verizon router to give me an internet connection and not do anything else at all. 

33 REPLIES 33
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 34
(46,456 Views)

Have you tried performing a search on these forums?  There have been plenty of previous posters that have asked the same question and recieved successful answers.

Jim

Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 3 of 34
(46,455 Views)

Merk, This  link explains the procedure very well. http://www.dbuggr.com/smallwei/verizon-fios-actiontec-router-mi424-wr-bridge/ Please let us know the results, I too am interested in doing this soon

If a forum member gives an answer you like, please give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem. Thanks !!!
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Fix-for-Missing-Inbox-sent-folders-etc-with-Internet-Explorer-11/m-p/647399
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 4 of 34
(46,453 Views)

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home later today and let you know if it works.

Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 5 of 34
(46,442 Views)
You could go through the steps to make it a bridge, or you could just setup your router in lan with ours. much easier.
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 6 of 34
(46,432 Views)

what's the difference between making it a bridge or setting it up in LAN with the verizon router? Would i just be using the verizon router for DHCP and my router for everything else?

Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 7 of 34
(46,394 Views)

Yes. The only problem I can see with using the verizon router rather than bridging is if you have certain port forwarding settings that you need to use for certian applications. You could always log into the verizon router and configure those if need be. If you are just looking for a simple setup just plug your router in lan with the verizon router and it should work just fine. If you have problems with wifi interference then you may want to disable the wifi on the verizon router. 

Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 8 of 34
(46,369 Views)

I think i'll go with bridge mode since I do have port forwarding and a few other things set up on the router.  Easier for me to just disable everything on the verizon router then having to copy over all my rules.

Thanks

Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Message 9 of 34
(46,332 Views)

Do you have FIOS-TV?  You didn't say. 

If you have FIOS-TV, you need to keep the Actiontec in the mix to provide guide data and VOD for your STBs.

How is you Actiontec connected to the ONT?  coax ot cat5?  Again, you didn;t say.

There are a number of possible different configuration for running your own router with or without the Actiontec.

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

The link that JOSEM441 provided is only a single bridge and will only work for internet.  It will not work FIOS-TV.

Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 10 of 34
(46,301 Views)

@merk wrote:

What would i need to do to make the current verizon wifi router as dumb as possible? I want to use my own router as I already have everything configured on it the way I want. I just want the verizon router to give me an internet connection and not do anything else at all. 

Go into firewall settings on the Verizon router and select dmz host to expose 1 internal IP address to the outside.

Configure your router's wan connection to be that IP address

Configure your router to be a different subnet other than 192.168.1

connect a lan port of the verizon router to the wan port of your router

done.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.