web pages will not display
gene421

I'm setting up fios wireless for my daughter at her grandmother's house.

First, I set up her laptop and verified  that Windows thought I connected to the internet. I pinged several sites and got responses. However, when I tried to go to any web site, I keep getting "waiting for,..." ( which indicates to me that I did request the page). but eventually I time out.  This occurs even when I turn the firewall off. Of course all works well at home ( we don't have fios, though)

Second, except for the ping which I did not do, , I get the same results with her Ipad.

Any ideas?

Gene

0 Likes
Re: web pages will not display
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

This may be a silly, question but are you sure the house in question actually has a subscription to FiOS Internet service?  It's unusual, but possible, they could just have TV, or TV and telephone.

Does anyone else in the house use the Internet on any device?

If you're sure that Internet service is available, as a trouble shooting step you might try connecting your daughter's laptop to the FiOS router via Ethernet cable.  If the problem does or does not happen when using a wired connection, it would confirm or eliminate that the issue is with WiFi and that might help point to what step(s) to take next.

0 Likes
gene421

In theory, my wife did set up the internet portion and said she got it activated. One of my buddies also suggested I check since he has had the experience that one activation somehow didn't work.

Thanks for the reply

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When connected to the router, a way to find out if there is actually Internet service is if the router holds a real routable IP address. Most of the time for accounts that do not have Internet service, the router will pull an IP address in the 10.x.x.x range so that VOD and Guide info can be pulled in from Verizon's internal network. In essence, this is more of Verizon's walled garden.

I would log into the router at http://192.168.1.1/ and see if it has a IP address that isn't in the 10.x.x.x range.

0 Likes