when is fios going to be available in my area.. been waiting for years
hsrizvi

verizon's dls service is honestly extremely poor. it constantly cuts off and the customer support is horrible and claims that there's nothing wrong. we'd gladly switch to fios if we could, but verizon STILL hasn't installed fios in my area.. its annoying because the house probably  400 feet north of me has fios, yet verizon is constantly saying "currently not available in your area'. once again, i'd gladly get fios if it meant i'd get better service.

0 Likes
Re: when is fios going to be available in my area.. been waiting for years
VZ_Ron
Contributor - Level 2

Hey hsrizvi, you can go to www.verizon.com then scroll any of the service you want to sign up for in the retangle box below to the right have the option to check availability. 

0 Likes
Pratt2006

In the words of Gordon Ramsay: "I've about  had enough!". Three years and still no month/quarter/century as to when FIOS is coming to Lake Hiawatha, NJ. My in-law across the highway has it yet, the folks at the office kindly tell me to sign-up for notifications when it is available in my area. I regret having rolled the dice and being so intertwined with my other telecom services all being verizon.  I am starting to look for something else in my area; it's quite obvious the FIOS project in my neck of the woods is dead.

0 Likes
Letitride3c
Enthusiast - Level 3

When we moved from Flushing back in the early Fall of 2006 to our newly built home 3 miles further to the north with a rooftop view of LGA & Manhattan's skyline, we gave up our rock steady 3.0/768 DSL connection as we're just around a mile or under 6,000 feet to the CO.  We're told Fios were coming soon & that 1.5/384 DSL at our current home would be jus temporary, and new RJ45 wiring & coaxial are all brand new - only to learn 5 weeks later since the move/install & maintain existing service work order was somehow mishandled (it was a signal of the worst is yet to come, actually & eventually, settled for a 768/124 DSL speed as the field tech. re-checked the line loop distance and placed our distance to the CO officially at over 16,000 feet - things were going definitely in the wrong direction, but we're hopeful with the promises - and lived with a 75% reduction in download speed. 

Well, early 2009, we managed to get our speed bumped up to 1.0/384 with a somewhat "just above minimum specs" reliable & better DSL connection after multiple calls with support, field dispatch/truck roll & work done at the CO switching center - things improved a little bit but the fragile & aging copper wiring pair just not delivering a solid, dependable signal to our NID.  Then, came words & direct visual observation by myself that actual, real FIOS installation work has begun in our immediate, surrounding city streets or blocks - all within a 10 to 25 block radius (oh, good - hopeful signs & just be patient a bit longer) so we continued to put up with DSL from last summer (2009 on) - actually signed up for a Double Play package instead of going with cable HSI. 

Six months earlier, still in the winter months, my nephew's friends that are just 5 or 6 blocks away got their Fios installed and around Feb. 2010, a VZ field repair tech. dispatched to our NID for more DSL line troubleshooting also confirmed that homes further north of us, at far greater distance away from the local CO are getting Fios installation - so, renewed sense of hope & pray, sit tight & just hold on a little bit longer - patience will pay off.  As we're coming from work & going to work, we acutally can see their new white Fios truck & contractor's trucks in the neighborhood, pulling more thick orange & black Fios cables above ground & along the poles (until it's split & branched off going into the homes's outdoor NID/ONT.  These work seemed to be on again and then off again - to this date, not even an acknowledgement from any of the email sign-ups or sheets written at the local VZ retail store had help to give any updated info or progress.  Calling the local business office is useless as they have no clue whatsever (or simply couldn't care less - one CSR said, "look, we don't even have Fios to showcase in our brand new storefront here" - what a joke that was (last year, I must note & hopefully, they got it by now since they're less than 1,000 feet from their own CO - 2 or 3 blocks away)

Line conditions (downstream margins) continue to worsen as seemingly more Fios get installed selectively in & around this area, neighbors on the next block to our north has been able to order Fios for 3 or 4 months now, and yet, we can't and still being asked to sign-up for the email alert, if and when ....Our  Double Play contract is ending later this month & prices going up another $5.00 since the sign-up promo discount offer is over after 12 months (never thought then I would have to worry about renewing the "bundle" & should get Fios by now) and I'm not about to get locked into another 12 months with failing services, poor customer services & bad billings (long story - on being charged for dispatch while I had inside wire maintenance plan & dsl modem insurance, etc.) and very price competitive cable HSI's famous Triple Play package - no contract, 12 months price locked, free installation & free wireless modem/router.

This is a long story but it's looking ever closer as each day go by this month that we are going to cut the POTS & DSL line, and schedule an installation by the cable guy to hook us up & let's roll & rock it next month - can't wait to enjoy an easily 10x to 15x faster download speed with their boost plan & a modest gain for uploading speed.

Reading this posts & what's being stated elsewhere, I feel much better as this isn't lonely and many others feel the same way about the indefinite wait for Fios (sometime before 2014 for everyone in NYC to get Fios inside the home ??)  - well, should we just go ahead & switch out, and, when the telco is really ready to sign our block & house up for Fios service, let them come to us & make a counter offer to entice us to leave cable HSI and consider rejoining Fios ??

Thoughts & ideas, suggestions & feedbacks - thanks & feel free to comment.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you've thought this thru ...given the same circumstances, I'd have had cable the day I moved in and been happily waiting for  that "new customer" offer from Verizon when they rolled thru the neighborhood with the FiOS trucks ... particularly since it now seems vogue for both to offer "month to month" no ETF contracts.

Of course with that said, the day you place your order for cable will be the day FiOS rolls into your neighborhood.  🙂

ka3ak
Enthusiast - Level 1

What's even more frustrating is that FIOS is available in the area - about two miles away. Verizon actually did spend money to run fiber cable down my 2 mile dead-end road, but only to serve their cell tower. They did not bother with the FIOS service, even though there are around 30 residences on this road. Oh, and Comcast doesn't bother to come down this road either, though they are also two miles away.

I've had trouble getting the newspaper delivered, and pizza delivered from several pizza shops, and I'm only two miles away!!! Someone else is trying to build a landfill literally right next to people's back yards nearby. I'm really beginning to think there may be some racial discrimination involved in all this.

swingle54
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been waiting for 2yrs now.just what is the problem getting FIOS.Is it complicated to run a fiber optic wire from point A to B.You have smart people working at Verizon,lets get this problem resolved,and provide this service to the people who want it.    Jeff   Salem,Va

0 Likes
trebortec180

I feel that verizon fios is being prevented from being a reality in those affected areas due to the political bull crap in washington due to those lobbyiest who work for time warner who do not want verizon to install fios in every neighborhood. Just think that if verizon fios were available to everyhome in the us then time warner would be in big trouble because time warner customers would leave the **bleep** service of time warner and go to verizon fios for excellent internet.

0 Likes