which dns1 and dns2 should i use?
reking
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am using my own wireless router (my actiontec was having a problem, don't remember what -- it was a while ago). Previously i was using dhcp for my connections, but I have one laptop that I want to have a static ip (nothing nefarious, has to do with Windows Live Mesh).

So, when I switch to a static ip, it won't let me get dns addresses automatically any more. So, what do I put?

I notice that my router settings have nothing for DNS (well, actually they all use 0.0.0.0)

Using Vista on a PC

Thanks, Ron

0 Likes
Re: which dns1 and dns2 should i use?
prisaz
Legend

Normally the routers IP can be used for the DNS server. You could place any dns server IP in your laptop. I would use the one for your Verizon supplied router 192.168.1.1 is usually the default. You say the IP in you wireless router is all zeros, that is strange unless you are using it as a wireless access point and not a router. If that were the case all you addresses would be on the same network and issued from the actiontec.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

You can also use any of these

or other people here like opendns. there are several posts around for opendns if you want to find out about it or maybe someone will post the address, I dont use it so I'm not sure.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

OpenDNS: www.opendns.com

Have been using it for about a year, free, very reliable, consistent speed. I started using it because I had some trouble with Verizon's DNS servers, very erratic speed, so I switched. Plus OpenDNS offers free filtering options to help control what sites you and other users of your systems (kids?) can get to.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes