wi-fi connection
mcdoggies
Enthusiast - Level 1

Using my ipad, I lose my connection every few minutes at home. Everywhere else I visit, I stay connected. Is it the router?

Re: wi-fi connection
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It's likely just the channel you are using for the wireless.  Change the channel. Open a web browser on the computer connected to the Router. In the “Address” text box, type:  http://192.168.1.1then press Enter on the keyboard.

The “Login” screen appears. Enter the default user name (admin) and password (password  OR password1) in the appropriate text boxes, then click OK.

The “Home” screen of the MegaControl Panel appears.

Stay in the router section on the left, scroll down to quick links and hit change wireless settings.    Option number 3 are your channels that you can choose from.  ONLY USE channels 1, 6 and or 11.   So I would start with 11, and hit apply. Try your connection for a day or so - if it does not drop then you're good.  if it drops. repeat the steps above and change it to 6.  and if needed 1.

MrTantrum
Enthusiast - Level 3

There are all sorts of issues with the current iPAD WiFi.  One documented issue is dropping connections over WPA(TKIP) security.  Therefore, you should change your WiFi security settings to WPA2(AES) and configure to use a pre-shared key.  Doing this solved all of my iPAD connectivity issues that I was having with 3 different units in the house.

MrTantrum
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, after making the changes that I described, you will need to do one of two options:

1) change the name of the SSID since the iPAD/iPhone will cache the previous configuration

or

2) use the same SSID, but you will not only need to "forget this network" under the WiFi connection on your iDevice but you may also need to "Reset Network Settings" under Settings, General, Reset. (please note that doing so will forget all WiFi networks).

cherstein
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've lost my wi-fi connection on my ipad, and tried login to verizon at 192.16.1.1 as suggested. Using 'admin' and 'password' or 'password1' gets a login failed message.

How do I find out what my wireless router name and password is for my ipad?

tns
Master - Level 2

They started changing the password from the default of "password" or the commonly install password of "password1" awhile ago.  It is suppose to now be the serial number (on the sticker) of the router.  Also on a reset of the router after some level of the software, it started asking you to set the id and password after the reset.

see

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/Setup/VzMI424/120428.htm

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cherstein wrote:

I've lost my wi-fi connection on my ipad, and tried login to verizon at 192.16.1.1 as suggested. Using 'admin' and 'password' or 'password1' gets a login failed message.

How do I find out what my wireless router name and password is for my ipad?

It's 192.168.1.1

If you don't know what the userid and password is for your router then reset it to factory defaults by pushing and holding the reset button on the back of it.  After it restart you will be prompted for a userid (admin) and a new password that YOU can select - remember it.  Once you're logged on

select the wireless tab at the top

the router name (ssid) is the 2nd entry on that screen, you can change it if you want to

then select advanced security 

select wpa/wpa2

enter a preshared key of your choice

apply

The preshared key is is the password for your ipad or other devices to attach to the router with the ssid you noted at the start.

0 Likes
Tamrosskopf
Enthusiast - Level 1
I have this same problem and none of these channels have solved my problem.
0 Likes