wifi bridging with westell 9100em
adamranders

so i just moved in with new roomates, they have fios for tv, internet, and phone. They have a westell 9100em wifi router that was installed with the service. i would like to setup my own subnet so that i can have my own security settings being that they aren't that concerned with their security and therefor pretty much have none, and also would like to have my own file sharing network. That being the case i need to try figure out how to set this up, with some of the communities help of course.

so here's what i have, the westell 9100em wifi router using moca.
a tp-link TL-WA901ND ap/bridge,

and a linksys WRT160N V2 wifi router.

What I would like to do is setup a wireless bridge between the tp-link and the westell, then connect the linksys to the tp-link so that i can have a wired connection from my desktop pcs (2) and xbox360, and a secure wifi connection for my laptop, netbook, and smartphone. 

any help on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated, i have tried to set up the bridge but the menus for the westell are not very user friendly, and i cannot seem to get it to work. after that i think i should be able to just set the linksys up as just a switch and be good? haven't made it that far yet though.

0 Likes
Re: wifi bridging with westell 9100em
adamranders

ok so i setup the tp-link bridge in client mode and got it to connect to the wifi router and have internet through it, now i'm still stuck on the linksys wifi router. if i plug a pc directly into the tp-link i get an auto assigned ip from the dhcp and have proper internet connection. so when i try to set the linksys wifi router to work as a switch i'm getting errors and no connection, i'm pretty sure i may be setting it up wrong but not quite sure where the mistake(s) are? any help?

0 Likes
Re: wifi bridging with westell 9100em
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@adamranders wrote:

so when I try to set the linksys wifi router to work as a switch I'm getting errors and no connection, I'm pretty sure I may be setting it up wrong but not quite sure where the mistake(s) are? Any help?

To have a separate (private) network, you want the connection from the TP-Link to go to the WAN port of the Linksys. 

• The Linksys WAN side can either get a DHCP address from the Westell or can have a static IP address on the Westell's subnet (192.168.1.x). 
  • The LAN side of the Linksys must have a different subnet (e.g. 192.168.2.x).  It can not use the 192.168.1.x subnet.
  • There is nothing in the Westell that you need to change unless you need to forward ports, then you will need to do so in both routers.
0 Likes