wifi connection with moca
bbqbrisket1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got a new Fios modem/router but the wifi connection is weak in the Living room.

It was suggested by Fios that I get a connector between the TV and Coax in the LR.

So I got an Actiontec Moca 2.0 6000.

Can I use only 1 adapter for this at the LR end or does the Fios Router need a 2nd one at the router end as well?  Also once connected, can I also connect a Wifi extender directly to the adapter by splitting the Ethernet between it and the TV.

So will any of this solve my issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: wifi connection with moca
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, since are using a Verizon router you will only need the MoCA adapter. Just connect an unmanaged gigabit 5 port ethernet switch to the adapter. One ethernet off the switch to the TV and another to your wireless access point. 

View solution in original post

Re: wifi connection with moca
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, since are using a Verizon router you will only need the MoCA adapter. Just connect an unmanaged gigabit 5 port ethernet switch to the adapter. One ethernet off the switch to the TV and another to your wireless access point. 

Moca 2.0 connection for wifi
bbqbrisket1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will this work???image

Re: Moca 2.0 connection for wifi
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Still can’t see the picture but if you click on my username and private message me a picture I’ll take a look. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bbqbrisket wrote:

Will this work???image

That won’t work. An RJ45 splitter will split the 4 pairs into 2 pairs on each port. This will limit you to 100 mbps and you will only be able to connect one device at a time. 

You need this instead...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-5-port-10-100-1000-mbps-gigabit-smart-ethernet-metal-switch-gra...

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, know that FiOS does not use modems.  It uses routers only.

There is no such thing as a splitter for Ethernet cables.  The devices that are called "splitters" really are just breaking out the four wire pairs from the "input" to two pairs on one of the "outputs" and the other two pairs to the other "output."  If you use one of these on each end of an Ethernet run, you can have two separate connections available at the far end.  However, the connections are limited to 100Mbps as 1Gbps requires all four pairs.

If you want to allow multiple devices to connect at Gigabit rate to a single Ethernet run, get an Ethernet switch.  Lots to be found online for a reasonable price.

Verizon routers have coax connectors on them that can be used to communicate with MoCA devices such as the bridge you have.  Another solution is to buy or rent the Verizon Network extender.  It provides a WiFi access point and two Ethernet connections.  All your problems will be solved with this device.  There are two models depending on the model of Verizon router you have.  Details can be found here:

https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/networking-wifi/

Good Luck.

bbqbrisket1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for your response to my Q.

Was clear from your post about the wrong ethernet device I was using.

But wasn't really clear about whether or not I need a moca adapter a the router end?

thanks