wired (ethernet) connection slower than wireless
razz67

curious if anyone has a suggestion for me to try. My wired internet connection speed is currently 4 Mbps/ 2 Mbps on a 15/5 plan. My wireless is 12 Mbps / 4 Mbps. Why is my wired speed so much slower than my wireless speed? isn't it suppossed to be just the opposite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: wired (ethernet) connection slower than wireless
tns
Master - Level 2

Obviously stange.  Should be just as fast or faster.  BAd cable/connector or problem with your Ports on router or computer.  Firmware/software problem on computer is about the only other possibility.

0 Likes
Re: wired (Ethernet) connection slower than wireless
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@razz67 wrote:

... My wired internet connection speed is currently 4 Mbps/ 2 Mbps on a 15/5 plan. My wireless is 12 Mbps / 4 Mbps. Why ...[?]

What hardware is used to connect the computer?  In other words, what type of network card is in the box, is it a laptop, desktop, etc.?  Have you changed out the Ethernet cable?

0 Likes
Re: wired (ethernet) connection slower than wireless
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would check speed and duplex of both the router's Ethernet port (they can be set individually) and on the computer. If you're running at 10Mbps half duplex you'll get speeds like that. It's also likely if you have a very old FiOS router (Rev A-C) that the Ethernet switch could be going bad as well. If the lights are always rapidly blinking that's also a known failure sign with them.

0 Likes