wireless FIOS speeds...
mrisch

Hi -

This question has probably already been asked before, but here goes -

I just had FIOS 25/25 put in. However, the best I can ever do is 14.5/14.5 (and my upload is usually faster than my download!

The whole house is 802.11g - no wired connections. Is this jus the fastest I should expect? Should I downgrade to 15/15 and save some money?

Thanks in advance,

MR

0 Likes
Re: wireless FIOS speeds...
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

for wireless, thats actually pretty good. You may be able to get a little better than that with some work, but not much better. If you have no wired what-so-ever, then yes, I would downgrade. Or wire some connections to take advantage of your speed your paying for. I personally dislike wireless, no matter what anyone says, wireless is not secure, no matter what kind of encryption you use. Its also too flaky a connection. But each to their own. 😄 If wireless is all you want or can have, then save the money.

Re: wireless FIOS speeds...
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

As Spacedebris said, getting 14.5 is decent.  As a matter of fact speaking in a perfect world a typical 54meg wireless connection will max out at somewhere between 20-22 meg assuming you are close to the access point (Verizon Router) and nothing is interfering with it (bluetooth, wireless devices, microwaves, etc).  The further you move away from the router the weaker the signal and the slower the connection will be.  14.5 is decent.  

I have a mix of wired and wireless devices.  I would love everything wired but its unrealistic for me so I do rely on many devices using a wireless connection.