wireless adapter speed question
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has faced this 'problem'.  I just got the new advanced router from Verizon that supports my 75/75 speed plan.  Wired i'm getting that speed.. sometimes even 80Mbps.  My laptop has a 'g' wireless card so I went and got a (Panda Ultra Wireless N USB Adapter (150Mbps) - 802.11n 2.4GHz.  The link speed on the utility is registering at 74Mbps.  But when I test my speed here on the Verizon test, or a few other sites, i'm not able to get it above 45Mbps.. often it's lower than that.  What confuses me is that the Verizon test is occuring at the same time i'm looking at the utility that tells me it's receiving at 74Mbps..  This adapter supports up to 150 so i'm confused.  I even went as close to almost touching it to the antenna to rule out distance.. but then again.. the utility registers at the full speed...  I just don't know why i'm paying for 75 wireless if I can't achieve it...  or how to actually get that speed.  Has anyone else had to use an adapter.. and if so were you able to get the accurate speed?

0 Likes
Re: wireless adapter speed question
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

WiFi link speed isn't necessarily the actual available data rate.  WiFi is subject to all sorts of interference that will slow it down. For these reasons and more, no ISP, Verizon included, can guarantee WiFi speeds.

For starters, try switching channels on your router.  You may be able to find one that works better.

You should also use the search function on this forum to find out how others have dealt with this issue.  This thread is a great place to start:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

Good Luck.

0 Likes
IMNoone

"A man with one watch knows what time it is.  A man with 2 watches is never sure"

The confusion may come from the use of multiple tools whose results cannot be compared without knowing how the tests were done.

What is "the utility"?  Is it measuring speed from here to the bathroom, or here to the other side of town?

You mentioned that "the utility" reports it is receiving data at 74Mbps.  Is it merely telling you that your new 75Mbps router is transmitting data to the WiFi adapter at slightly less than 75Mbps?

Give it a couple of weeks.  Your gut will give you a more accurate 'read' on the speed of your internet connection, which, by the very nature of its design, is in constant flux.  Worrying about why a couple of goofy 'speed' tests yield dissimilar results will only give you a sour gut and take a bit of your life that could be used wondering if that 25Mbyte file had downloaded or not only to find it was done before you took your finger off the mouse button that initiated the download.  SNAP!  Oh, yeah, that's the ticket.

Good luck.

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

This was my first time dealing with such a setup so I have to admit I don't know much about it.. What confused me is that I tested with the Verizon test wired and got more than my 75/75 speed plan.. then I put in the adapter and get only 45/45, when it says it's good for 150.  By 'the utility' I mean the utility included with the adapter that shows speed, ip address, allows you to select the network etc..  I just noticed on the one side it said 'link speed'.. and it was 74Mbps.. which sounds like my paid for speed.. then I test and get 45 so I was stumped.. I wanted to blame the adapter but am confused why it says it's receiving at 74.  I verified the incoming speed to be at least 75 by wiring to the router.. so to me if the router is hitting my computer telling this utility it's at 74, but i'm registering 45.. there's a problem.. UNLESS the utility is telling me the incoming speed TO the router.. and from there i'm only getting 45 from the adapter... anyhow... but to me if it claims 150 I should get the full 75 no problem... I know it's trivial comparing between 45Mbps and 75Mbps...  that's unheard of speed compared to a few years ago.. but then again, the difference in that speed is $10 a month to me.. and everything here being wireless and not wired, it's throwing money away... but thank you for the help and i'll check the other link above and search around more..

0 Likes