wireless printer
drsm
Enthusiast - Level 2

just had fios installed. I had a printer connected wirelessly to my router. Verizon swapped it out with theirs. Now my printer won't connect to the new router and I can't seem to get it resolved. I have a canon mx860. I try wps but it times out even though I press the button on the router. Of course I have no idea how long I am supposed to hold it depressed. Any help would be appreciated as verizon was no help at all.

Re: wireless printer
lsmsch

I have the same issue, same printer, I gave up, I plug in my lap top to print, big waste of money. 

I am thinking of getting a laser printer anyway, this Canon is a ink hog.  

I think I'll skip the whole fancy wireless thing because it's too much of a hassle to figure out and such an expense only to find out it won't work. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Login to the router, Advanced -> Yes -> IPMG Proxy - Set IGMP Proxy (Enable/Disable): to Disable and save.

drsm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't even know how to log into the router. Do I use my verizon id and password?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Note: To improve security, your router password may have been changed to the serial number of your router if you have not changed the password from the default of "password." You can find your router's password on the label affixed to the bottom or back of your router.

0 Likes
drsm
Enthusiast - Level 2

figured out the issue. The wps button does not work at this time. They have not put it in the software yet. You have to use WCN method to get it to connect to the router.

0 Likes
cosmicjay
Enthusiast - Level 1

@dslr595148 wrote:

Login to the router, Advanced -> Yes -> IPMG Proxy - Set IGMP Proxy (Enable/Disable): to Disable and save.

My router, which is a MI424WR, has different options on its page. IGMP (Internet Group Management Protocol) is hidden under "Routing" in "Advanced". This recommendation fixed my problem, but I gather the original poster's problem was different. I could get my printer to log on to the wireless network without an error, but printing failed.

I have an Epson Stylus NX420, I was attempting to print from a MacBook Pro. The error message was "Stopped -- 'Filter' failed".

Note further that the password box to login to the router seems to have an odd tendency to insert spurious characters, so I had to enter the password several times (pasting is the best way, but still some spurious characters occasionally).

Finally, note that the default password is probably not "password" any longer, but appears on the label that also gives the SSID and WPA2 key (wireless name and password).

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

They aren't extra characters, really. It displays extra 'dots' as a security feature.

0 Likes
aurelius689
Enthusiast - Level 1

From what I've read verizon doesn't support wps. I had to connect my HP printer by running the original installation disk on a connected computer. I followed the prompts for wireless connection. It asked me to plug the printer into the computer with a usb. On the computer it checked for internet connection, and found several routers, and asked which was mine. Selected my router then it asked for my password. I put it in, then it said printer connected! I unplugged the usb going from my printer to my computer and now I can print and scan wirelessly.

BTW if you don't have your original printer software, most manufacturers have it available for download on thier website.

Re: wireless printer and WPS button
T_for_Texas
Enthusiast - Level 1

This worked.  The WPS button doesn't work.  Don't waste time holding that button while your printer tries to connect.

I had to connect my HP Deskjet with USB and go through the set up for connecting it to a wireless network.

I have the Actiontec Verizon provided router.  I did this on August 2013.

0 Likes