wireless setup question
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

Hello,

I have the Actiontech MRI424WR router connected to fios internet / television

The router has an antenna on it and the installer said it was wireless capable.   So on my laptop, which i have connected to it, would I just need to get a usb wireless adapter and that's it?   does it matter what kind?

thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: wireless setup question
Justin46
Legend

Unless your laptop is more than 4 or 5 years old, it probably already has wireless capability built in. Are you sure it doesn't? Some laptops have an actual switch on the side or front to turn the wireless function on and off, others use a function in the software driver for the wireless. Before going and buying an adapter, you really should make sure you don't already have wirelss capability in the laptop. You can check the instruction book that came with the laptop, or if you don't have it, usually there is a copy on the hard drive.

If you really don't have wireless capability built into the laptop, yes, all you should need to get is a USB-attached wireless adapter. You should probably make sure you get an adapter that supprts the wirelss G protocol, not just B, because G is fster than B, and the Actiontec supports G (as well as the slower B if you ever need to connect a PC with a B adapter). There are lots of adapters on the market, generally LinkSys, D-Link, and Belkin get good marks, but probably most any brand will work.

Keller, TX

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: wireless setup question
Justin46
Legend

Unless your laptop is more than 4 or 5 years old, it probably already has wireless capability built in. Are you sure it doesn't? Some laptops have an actual switch on the side or front to turn the wireless function on and off, others use a function in the software driver for the wireless. Before going and buying an adapter, you really should make sure you don't already have wirelss capability in the laptop. You can check the instruction book that came with the laptop, or if you don't have it, usually there is a copy on the hard drive.

If you really don't have wireless capability built into the laptop, yes, all you should need to get is a USB-attached wireless adapter. You should probably make sure you get an adapter that supprts the wirelss G protocol, not just B, because G is fster than B, and the Actiontec supports G (as well as the slower B if you ever need to connect a PC with a B adapter). There are lots of adapters on the market, generally LinkSys, D-Link, and Belkin get good marks, but probably most any brand will work.

Keller, TX

0 Likes