Re: 4K / UHD - when is it coming to Fios?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So it sounds like the only 4k content is od?

Why would Verizon invest if the infrastructure given there isn't any linear channel content in 4k?

Let the streaming channels bear the burden for now.

0 Likes
gasbag1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a few questions after reading the previous posts, the first of which is what makes you think Video over IP isn't already here? I've had as much as 30 secs. of latency watching the same program in two rooms with Quantum. As for 4k, Verizon is banking on what the set-makers are banking on, H.265 to the set/STB/cell phone. That way _ever'body_ can claim 4k, putting the U in UHD. It's been a few years since we've been asked to change boxes, wouldn't a new compression scheme for the yummy new displays be enough of an excuse?

Less is more. And cheaper to distribute.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Main video service took VMS is qam video.

IP is used to feed from VMS to ipcs.

I've never seen that level of latency.

Usually just a couple of seconds.

Why would Verizon pay for new box development when the content isn't there?

And the number of sets aren't there.

Remember when 3d was all the rage?

That content never took off.

There are still a large number of SD boxes still out there.

0 Likes
BlackShirt

Here's your answer http://m.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Verizon/ses/FiOS/TV/4K/Ultra_HD/tests/Trials/verizon-preps-4k-u...

TL;DR - looks like they partner with SES to go via Satellite. Most likely be piloting within 12 months.

0 Likes
JP_05
Enthusiast - Level 3

If  the 4K broadcast issues are understood ie: network TV does not yet offer 4K programming, there wouldn't be as much push on Verizon to offer this feature.   

The issue now is related to the fact that THEY'RE offering a link to Netflix from the Guide, Menu and or Widgets.  THERE is no way to select a Netflix 4K broadcast.  THEIR offerings are many and growing.  This is a paid for feature with no way to access via Verizon's remote control or apps.    Thinking out of the box idea may be a way to bypass THIER STB when Netflix is selected and get to the TV like you would via Smart TV, DVD, Play Station etc remote controls.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JP_05 wrote:

If  the 4K broadcast issues are understood ie: network TV does not yet offer 4K programming, there wouldn't be as much push on Verizon to offer this feature.   

The issue now is related to the fact that THEY'RE offering a link to Netflix from the Guide, Menu and or Widgets.  THERE is no way to select a Netflix 4K broadcast.  THEIR offerings are many and growing.  This is a paid for feature with no way to access via Verizon's remote control or apps.    Thinking out of the box idea may be a way to bypass THIER STB when Netflix is selected and get to the TV like you would via Smart TV, DVD, Play Station etc remote controls.

Since Netflix is subscriber based, you select the 4K feature for Netflix. Fios is not paying for Netflix you are.

on my Roku or Apple TV I have Netflix and it runs I believe $12.99 a month for viewing in UHD/4K additionally my 4K televisions have Netflix and when I login the view is under the 4K so it’s up to you to go into your Netflix settings and up your plan. 

Fios just gives the channel selector for your own paid Netflix subscription.

0 Likes
JP_05
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks JJ...   You missed both points.

1) I have Netflix 4K service and have enjoyed it over the last 2 years.  Verizon is now offering a link to Netflix.    This is to be a convenience but does not allow access to 4K for the started and understood reasons.  Anyone wanting 4K viewing CANNOT use the VZ access to Netflix.  Therefore 2 remote controls are now back in play.

2) THERE is a difference in the words that sound like ..     oh never mind... Thanks for the reply

But you know what JJ ...  

Your words. ....and when I login the view is under the 4K so it’s up to you to go into your Netflix settings and up your plan. My response:  (Does not make sense...  ) When you log into Netflix you have options for both 4K and non-4K if you subscribe to 4K.

Your words ....Fios just gives the channel selector for your own paid Netflix subscription.  My response:  AND MY POINT...my paid Netflix subscription includes 4K.  

Anyway....  I am hopeful that VZ will update THEIR box to provide 4K so that customers will be able to use more of the VZ offerings without having to use a potential competitors product.  Thereby strengthening THEIR position.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Sometimes the answer may be overwhelming.

Lets try again.

1- Yes Fios now has a link to Netflix 

2- Yes it is linked via your plan. Not Fios 

3- You have to not only have the 4K/uhd plan but the tv to view it. (Seems logical)

4- Notwithstanding the Fios connection, the 4K TV , Roku, Apple TV 4K have the ability to access Netflix. And there are other devices.

if you have a 4K tv then Netflix with 4K will be shown in 4K/UHD on your television it has absolutely nothing to do how your Fios channel accesses the service. 

Fios is only giving a quick way to access your paid subscription. The Fios is not controlling your viewing of Netflix only your plan on Netflix and your tv control that.

0 Likes
JP_05
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jonjones wrote:

Sometimes the answer may be overwhelming.

Lets try again.  (Ditto)

if you have a 4K tv then Netflix with 4K will be shown in 4K/UHD on your television it has absolutely nothing to do how your Fios channel accesses the service. 

Fios is only giving a quick way to access your paid subscription. The Fios is not controlling your viewing of Netflix only your plan on Netflix and your tv control that.

Your ending quoted just above here is where you are lost.  MY paid subscription IS 4K and my point is that IF THE FIOS REMOTE IS USED TO SELECT/CHOOSE NETFLIX YOU CANNOT SELECT A 4K  PROGRAM.  Stop and read the last part again, because, that is the point.   To view 4K you MUST use a controller (remote) from a streaming device or TV that has the Netflix app or access.  This means that for anyone who has FiOS you CANNOT use the FiOS remote control to watch Netflix 4K regardless of what your paid Netflix subscription refects.  
I first saw the FiOS feature as an advantage to reduce the need to use 2 remote controls to 1.... Only to find out there s no access to 4K.  If you could see 4K offerings and when chosen you received an error message it would be better.  But there are no instructions or caveats etc offered.  Not even input on choosing options.
So please tell me that you are on board with my point, if not I quit and you win.
0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

No I am not saying that what is happening is not happening.

and yes the use from another streaming stick like a Roku and Apple TV works as it should, but you want the Fios tv controller to allow 4K streaming of the Netflix programming . 

So I understand what you are writing. Now here is where my understanding must not be in sync. Now having the ability to stream in UHD/4K with smart 4K tv’s and streaming devices like I mention above, why would accessing Netflix through the Fios set top box not allow 4K streaming to view it as such?

The premise is on the Fios controller to work as a streaming controller like with Roku’s  and Firesticks, and Apple tv’s with their own controllers. Or as in using the Netflix app on the 4K TV’s with the tv controller. 

This is where I get a little hazy. The Fios controller should show the Netflix stream as in your plan with your 4K tv. I am going to assume that the Fios tv box is overriding the Netflix control to operate in 4K/UHD 

My ignorance must be that I use my Netflix through a Roku, Apple TV,Blu Ray players, and of course through my supplied tv controller. It would then be to question why using the stb to access Netflix would not simply use the 4K tv settings to override the Fios tv.

i would contact Netflix and explain what happens on your Fios service. Like Apple they will probably say that it is the app developer that has to create the app to be used as it should with Fios.

trust me I went through the crap with Acorn TV which stopped working when they updated the Apple TV app. Which worked with every other device.

0 Likes