Re: 4K / UHD - when is it coming to Fios?
JP_05
Enthusiast - Level 3

We are close... 

In layman's terms Streaming Netflix with your referenced controllers or in my case with my Sony TV controller vs. my FiOS remote control is this.  All of the above controllers sans the FiOS controller rely on Ethernet, Bluetooth or similar internet connection.  The FiOS controller uses their STB - set top box.  Their top of the line Quantum STB's cannot handle 4K.  Therefore, when you are in Netflix menu via FiOS STB there are no references to 4K offerings.  It appears as if you do not subscribe to 4K service.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JP_05 wrote:

We are close... 

In layman's terms Streaming Netflix with your referenced controllers or in my case with my Sony TV controller vs. my FiOS remote control is this.  All of the above controllers sans the FiOS controller rely on Ethernet, Bluetooth or similar internet connection.  The FiOS controller uses their STB - set top box.  Their top of the line Quantum STB's cannot handle 4K.  Therefore, when you are in Netflix menu via FiOS STB there are no references to 4K offerings.  It appears as if you do not subscribe to 4K service.

We are close....

i don't subscribe to Fios tv since I use a 4K/UHD tv’s in our home. Hence my reference to Apple TV, Roku,Smart TV controller,or our Blu Ray devices.

Directtvnow at $35 a month, no taxes or bogus fees and HBO to Go free for a year or $5 a month there after.

I referenced the set top boxes Fios uses as “what should happen” yes I understand that Fios tv is not 4K yet. But, the statement that it is on the menu at channel xxx is for the convenience of accessing your Netflix account. I am again thinking that after reading your previous posts that even though you would like to access UHD/4K from using Fios stb and controller this is being impossible due to Verizon not having such a ability.

I use my Apple TV 4K boxes to access Netflix to watch in UHD/4K and as of this week Amazon Prime is broadcasting some programs in 4K as well as through the tv apps.

I don’t care about having to use the extra controller.

0 Likes
AJ112

Dish, DirecTV, Xfinity, all offer 4K content.

FIOS with a fiber optic wire plugged into my home does not?

May be is time to switch...

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@AJ11 wrote:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/15075206/verizon-4k-streams-fios-tv-trial-ses

Or you can find cable “just around the corner that way” ☃️

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

@AJ11 wrote:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/15075206/verizon-4k-streams-fios-tv-trial-ses

Or you can find cable “just around the corner that way” ☃️

Regretabbly they ended that trial and are rethinking what they want to do.  They are apparently not thinking they will roll out that service.

jonjones1
Legend

Thank you for the update. 🎄

0 Likes
JP_05
Enthusiast - Level 3

TNS2 - Is there a link to the story indicating that the study is over reflecting their thoughts as you indicate?  Similar to JJs recent post.  I would like to follow up... And may need a reference. 

Merry Christmas 🎄

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JP_05 wrote:

TNS2 - Is there a link to the story indicating that the study is over reflecting their thoughts as you indicate?  Similar to JJs recent post.  I would like to follow up... And may need a reference. 

Merry Christmas 🎄

Lots of discussion of the testing and apparent cancellation on DSLREPORTS and elsewhere..

see https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Sources--Verizon-is-Cancelling-its-New-IPTV-Service-140859

and thread https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31280998-Preliminary-Full-IPTV-discussion

0 Likes
Joe3651

If there is no 4K I will look for one that does.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Joe365wrote:

If there is no 4K I will look for one that does.

That may not be possible at present since cable is toying with offering viewing in limited 4K (you still must have the tv) and I know the satellite providers are also offering trials. On my amazon prime and Apple TV they are of course using 4K UHD (Apple requires the 4K version of Apple TV 4th. Generation . 

I highly doubt Fios is offering any 4K UHD viewing at this time.