Re: 4K / UHD - when is it coming to Fios?
pturner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Cable channels are now offering 4K UHD. ie NBC Sports Premier League soccer broadcasts. Therefore is Verizon FIOS not providing this pass through signal. I have a Quatum router and top level STB media center and 4K UHD TV. If I'm not getting this service I feel like I'm being duped by Verizon.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@pturnerwrote:

Cable channels are now offering 4K UHD. ie NBC Sports Premier League soccer broadcasts. Therefore is Verizon FIOS not providing this pass through signal. I have a Quatum router and top level STB media center and 4K UHD TV. If I'm not getting this service I feel like I'm being duped by Verizon.

You cannot be duped if Verizon Fios tv never said they offer 4K UHD.

the service was spelled out on the day you accepted the service. 

Philistine
Enthusiast - Level 1

@jonjoneswrote:

@pturnerwrote:

@If @pturner feels he's been duped you can't tell him that 'just because 4k wasn't in the agreement', he can't feel this way.  An arrogant and non value adding response to dictate to someone how they should and shouldn't feel.

I'm a long term Fios customer, if Verizon can't articulate a strategic vision to the demand for 4k they're opening themselves up to customer migration.

jonjones1
Legend

@Philistinewrote:

@jonjoneswrote:

@pturnerwrote:

@If @pturner feels he's been duped you can't tell him that 'just because 4k wasn't in the agreement', he can't feel this way.  An arrogant and non value adding response to dictate to someone how they should and shouldn't feel.

I'm a long term Fios customer, if Verizon can't articulate a strategic vision to the demand for 4k they're opening themselves up to customer migration.

You cannot be duped if the terms and conditions of what you subscribed to are met.

that is a simple as it can be stated. Even if in the future Fios decides to offer 4K UHD only via extra cost, they have a right to do so. My reply is the value in that it’s is honest and how the situation presently is.

if in the future Verizon puts out a commercial saying “now in 4K UHD” then that is a value to garner more customers. Again Verizon is not offering it, Cable is testing it in certain markets. And nothing in your service agreements state you are entitled to it.

it really is that simple.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Philistine wrote:

@jonjoneswrote:

@pturnerwrote:

I remember when 3D was going to be all the rage. I bought my first big screen LED HDTV with 3D (came for free). What ever happened to it?

There is not a lot of 4K content available via cable channels at this point.

I hear 8K is in the works. Its not cheap to develop a new STB. ANd given the large number of people that still have SD boxes, where's the buyback?

Yes some customers might leave for other providers. And others might just cut the cord. But most of the cable providers don't announce future plans.

Verizon did beta an IP based service that support 4K but shut it down.

To me, that is a sign of their short term plans for 4K.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

And even given those factors you mentioned the way technology is going in leaps and bounds even the 8K and beyond will not be enough.

i remember when 3D was first out there. Not too many years ago. I remember as a child wearing 3D glasses in the movies and thought it was great.

all gone now for the most part.

growing up back in the 50’s I remember a small black and white tv with 4 stations, 60+ years later our tv’s cover our wall in the living room and bedroom. And in vibrant colors and definitions. Technology is wonderful.

0 Likes
Charmack1806
Enthusiast - Level 1

You are correct sir people are leaving Fios for Optimum’s Altice which offers 4K service. Almost my whole building swithced I’m one of the few holdouts. Fios needs to step up its game.

jonjones1
Legend

@Charmack1806wrote:

You are correct sir people are leaving Fios for Optimum’s Altice which offers 4K service. Almost my whole building swithced I’m one of the few holdouts. Fios needs to step up its game.

The basic premise is as customers we have the last say in what we will pay for.

with cord cutting picking up speed, and Fios lost over 100,000 tv customers (google it) and it is only going to get worse.

if another provider starts offering to broadcast in 4K UHD and customers want it. Then Fios either catches up with the technology or get left on the wayside.

today Fios and cable systems are seeing huge increases on broadband internet.

in this respect Verizon is the clear leader. So it’s a back and forth trade off.

0 Likes
Percy22

It is upsetting -- shocking, actually, because FIOS was so far ahead in this regard until very recently, when 4K came on the scene -- to look at TV on Comcast and find it a better experience than watching on FIOS.  Verizon is mistaken if it does not realize that its customers are going to be buying new 4K-, UHD -capableTVs and expect video service offerings to keep up with that.  Forget about the false analogy to the temporary insanity about 3D TV or some imaginary move on from 4K to 8K.   4K UHD TV is taking off and taking over. Please deal with it.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Percy22 wrote:

It is upsetting -- shocking, actually, because FIOS was so far ahead in this regard until very recently, when 4K came on the scene -- to look at TV on Comcast and find it a better experience than watching on FIOS.  Verizon is mistaken if it does not realize that its customers are going to be buying new 4K-, UHD -capableTVs and expect video service offerings to keep up with that.  Forget about the false analogy to the temporary insanity about 3D TV or some imaginary move on from 4K to 8K.   4K UHD TV is taking off and taking over. Please deal with it.

Verizon Chairman has just said that Verizon see’s the writing on the wall and notices that tv is not going to do anything for them except drain resources. So no upgrades.

(google Lowell McAdams statement on tv) Verizon is getting on the streaming side and away fro linear tv. Much like AT&T is going from satellite tv to streaming only (DirectTVNOW) so don’t be looking for any changes if any.

technology is changing and we will have to change with it.

0 Likes