9 years with DTV
defa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

I've been with Directv for 9 years but the pricing has been through the roof.  I just signed on for the quad play which is being installed Feb 5th.  I'm starting to question if I made the right decision switching.  I would like to hear from previous DTV subscribers that made the switch and  loved it or regretfully made the wrong decision. Also being a new customer I was satisfied with their promotion and locked in for 2 years and was told by customer service after 2 years I can sign back on for another promotion, does this actually happen (customers getting another new customer offer once theirs has expired?

Thanks,

Defa Boston   

0 Likes
Re: 9 years with DTV
Kronos1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was also with DTV for awhile an the price just kept getting higher so I changed to Verizon FiOS since I all reedy have the internet an when I changed thay also upped the speed to 45mb an after I changed DTV wanted to match prices but it was too late besides thay still ended up billing me about $400 since I bought a 2nd DVR Box from Best Buy for $200 an it renewed my contract an i still had to return the box to DTV after only having it for like 5 to 6 months! The only think I loved about the DTV was the DVR Boxes it showed what HD the movie was in like 720p or 1080i ECT an while watching movie i can click info then info on a actor an it would say what movies thay was in an where thay are from birth date ETC an i LOVED that! Another thing was the DTV boxed had a 80GB Hard Drive an the Verizon box had a 500GB HD but the DTV box was able to save alot more HD movies on it? whats nice about  Verizon is if its cloudy an raing I never loose my tv since there isnt a dish an also the HD Channels looks alot better also but not sure if itscomming in as 1080i or 1080p? its nice yo have a cheaper HDTV Bill with my internet all in 1 bill now if Verizon would take overT-Mobile Cell Phone I could have everything all on 1 bill an probally alot cheaper than what I am paying now!

prisaz
Legend

@defa wrote:

Hello,

I've been with Directv for 9 years but the pricing has been through the roof.  I just signed on for the quad play which is being installed Feb 5th.  I'm starting to question if I made the right decision switching.  I would like to hear from previous DTV subscribers that made the switch and  loved it or regretfully made the wrong decision. Also being a new customer I was satisfied with their promotion and locked in for 2 years and was told by customer service after 2 years I can sign back on for another promotion, does this actually happen (customers getting another new customer offer once theirs has expired?

Thanks,

Defa Boston   

I had DTV for 10+ years and liked it, but their prices are through the roof, and Verizon does save me money.

Some will complain about anything. I love my FiOS, but I too have had complaints.

Details:

I had DSL and signed up for FiOS as soon as Internet was Available. 2004-2005 I don't remember exactly. I put in a request on a daily basis, until eventually they answered yes. 15/2 compared to 1.5 was a day and night difference. TV had not launched yet. Remember Verizon runs fiber all the way to your house, installs fiber equipment at your house. Not on the pole or at the curb.

Back to FiOS TV. I signed up for it as soon as it became available, and have never regretted it. Some people have issues with billing, or do not understand how the bundles break down with the pro rated costs on the first bill. The second and third month is easier to understand. Making changes was easier with DTV, but they have gotten worse. It used to be you could make changes any time and DTV had it there boom, but not anymore. Verizon has gotten better in that department. You have to remember Verizon was a phone company and Internet provider. Making changes to programming is not the same as provisioning a phone line. You just need to watch your bill and make sure features are removed when you cancel them. I have always been able to get an adjustment if I found a problem with something on my bill.

Picture quality is the best found. No rain fade. With DTV I had to buy the largest possible dish to keep a picture. Just under 1 meter to be legal. Told the neighbors in my townhouse to read the FCC rules. The hardware has, and is improving in regards to the DVR features and storage capacity. The channel line up is great, but there is some Spanish content from Peru my wife just had to have. So I do have DTV for only that. Minimum package under $30.

We are not supposed to post external links but I will break the rule. Here is a great site that compares available HD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058081

The bundle will expire, and the offers are as stated for new customers only. But when mine expired they only wanted $10 more. Some of the channels were moved between packages, so when my commitment expired I decided to upgrade anyway. All providers have a new customer deal. But even when my Verizon deal expired, for what I felt I was getting it still saved me money. My DTV Phone and Internet was over $200 6 years ago, with FiOS it is well under that amount. It depends on how many TVs you want connected, what channels you want, and your Internet speed.

7 years ago what I was spending.

Phone $65 with long distance.

Internet $55 1.5mbps.

DTV $120 4 TVs and no HD.

Total $231

Verizon $170 your mailage may very.

Over the years the bundles from different providers have become very compeditive, but I came to FiOS for the technology and I still save money.

defa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the awsome replies, I think I made the right move, my quad play is saving me about 550.00 the 1st year and a little less the second year but in this economy a saving is a saving.  I can't wait for the install in a couple of weeks, thanks again.

Regards,

Defa.

0 Likes
donut1953
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also just made the switch from directv to fios... I am trying to keep an open mind and liken the switch to learning a new language.. Many of the capabilities of the directv dvr are much better than the current fios dvr.. Just last night the Law and Order SVU was not recorded and I can see no reason why it was not.. It showed no conflict and I figured it was not a first run so no be deal.. Today on NBC website I found it was a first run.. Another issue with fios dvr it will not record a first run program if it conflicts earlier in the evening and it's available later that night.. For example tonight I have two network programs set to record at 9pm and also Royal Pains on USA network.. With directv set up on first run I knew Royal Pains would get recorded with no problem later in the night.. Not with fios and the solution is to record first run and repeats and then you get 12 royal pains set to record..

At this point I am hoping that fios techs have combined the best of all provider's dvrs and have come up with great software when IMG 1.9 is released...

Bottom line I will get use to fios in the following months and the money saving will be nice.. The biggie I will miss is the advanced warning of a very bad rainstorm on the way.. Directv always gave me enough time to shut the windows..HAHAHA

prisaz
Legend

@donut1953 wrote:

I also just made the switch from directv to fios... I am trying to keep an open mind and liken the switch to learning a new language.. Many of the capabilities of the directv dvr are much better than the current fios dvr.. Just last night the Law and Order SVU was not recorded and I can see no reason why it was not.. It showed no conflict and I figured it was not a first run so no be deal.. Today on NBC website I found it was a first run.. Another issue with fios dvr it will not record a first run program if it conflicts earlier in the evening and it's available later that night.. For example tonight I have two network programs set to record at 9pm and also Royal Pains on USA network.. With directv set up on first run I knew Royal Pains would get recorded with no problem later in the night.. Not with fios and the solution is to record first run and repeats and then you get 12 royal pains set to record..

At this point I am hoping that fios techs have combined the best of all provider's dvrs and have come up with great software when IMG 1.9 is released...

Bottom line I will get use to fios in the following months and the money saving will be nice.. The biggie I will miss is the advanced warning of a very bad rainstorm on the way.. Directv always gave me enough time to shut the windows..HAHAHA

I sort of agree with you on the guide data, and hope the combined data and new 1.9 img will help. Guide data is one subject I did not comment on. I have had a tivo for over a year and found the guide data very reliable, but my main viewer is now running on a 7216 Verizon DVR. Waiting for the update too. So I changed to the MR_DVR and switched all boxes to HD just before Christmas because I needed another STB. Still undecide if I want to keep the VZ DVR or get another Tivo with a Verizon cable card. I will make the call when 1.9 comes out.

0 Likes
BlazeMasterwort

Hi Defa Boston,

After 10 years with Directv,  two days ago I got the FIOS tv too. I'm still not sure I did the right thing. My kids and husband  are complaining.

After FIOS was installed I called Directv and they offered me 3 free months and 6 months of half off my bill. Sheesh that could have saved me a lot of money.

We signed up for the Ultimate plan for 2 years. I just hope that it is only the matter of short time for  them to get  used to the new inferior remotes and guides. Only time will tell. Two years isn't so long. And maybe Verizon will smooth out the quirks before long.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I have had D*tv since 1997 and still have it at one house. I've had Verizon Fios in another house and have had it for a little over 4 years. I think both have their good and bad points.

All in all I dont see much of a price difference between the two. DTV is a little more expensive but not a lot. At least not for me.

I see it like this.

Verizon is better on....

• Picture quality. There is no comparison. Fios is simply the best picture around
  • I like the fact that Verizon does not alter the picture or audio from the broadcast
  • no weather related picture cut outs. 
  • I like the VOD selection much better.

DTV is better on...

• More HD channels. Right now they have more HD than anyone else
  • the program guide is far superior
  • The DVR's seem to be more advanced (although this is supposed to change with the new IMG1.9 with Verizon)

Washes....

• Customer service. Now this may be debatable depending on who you talk to, but I've really only had positive experiences with the customer service with both companies
  • Tech support. Same as with CS. I've not had issues with either company.
  • Basic channel selection. While DTV does have more HD. The actual channel selection is nearly identical. As far as the mainstream channels are concerned anyway.
  • Reliability. They are both exceedingly reliable services

Now it must be said that the setup of both companies is quite different. Switching from one to another takes a while to get used to the new setup. That was the biggest complaint with my family when going from the DTV to Verizon. They were so used to the way that DTV did things that I heard only complaints for the 1st six months. Then once they got used to it, now everyone agrees that they would be happy with either choice. Although for us the picture quality was the tipping point. We are much happier with the pic quality of Verizon that if Verizon was available at the other house we would switch there too.

ggma11261
Contributor - Level 3

@BlazeMasterwort wrote:

Hi Defa Boston,

After 10 years with Directv,  two days ago I got the FIOS tv too. I'm still not sure I did the right thing. My kids and husband  are complaining.

After FIOS was installed I called Directv and they offered me 3 free months and 6 months of half off my bill. Sheesh that could have saved me a lot of money.

We signed up for the Ultimate plan for 2 years. I just hope that it is only the matter of short time for  them to get  used to the new inferior remotes and guides. Only time will tell. Two years isn't so long. And maybe Verizon will smooth out the quirks before long.

just tell them better times are coming with 1.9 -  lots of new features  cannot go into details  but I think your husband and kids will like what comes with the new img

0 Likes
alanm47
Contributor - Level 1

I was a DTV customer for over ten years. I originally went with DTV because the cable service at the time was so bad in my area. When DTV went to High Def I had nothing but problems. I had the service tech there constantly and nothing seemed to help. I was getting constant pixelation problems, loss of signal issues and DVR problems. It seemed like every time it rained, or snowed I would get the "searching for signal" message. I also thought that the "On Demand" service on DTV was a joke. I also hated having to remove the snow and ice from my dish during the winter. When Fios came to my area I switched and have never regretted that decision. I've been with Fios now for almost two years and have had no significant issues. I will never return to DTV.