Re: 9 years with DTV
BrianRoumpz

I converted from DirecTV about 2-months ago.  While pricing is better than the DTV, Vonage, Comcast Broadband combo i had...the FIOS picture quality is not nearly as good as DirecTV.  I'm very disappointed with picture quality and would return to DirecTV if I could.  Also disappointed with the Whole House DVR, doesn't work as I expected.  However, this is likely lack of research on my part.  I expected to be able to record, delete material in queue, and pause TV on the remote TVs and you cannot do that.  You can watch anything you have recorded on all TVs but those remote TVs do not have the other key features.  I also have to say the process and numerous calls i had to make to convert service was a nightmare.  But I'm saving ~$75-$100 per month over the next two years.  Knowing what I know now...I would not have switched.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the whole home dvr will work more like you expect it to, in the next software release.  that should be out "we all hope" in a month or two.  but its starting to look closer to june.  

FrankoQ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I switched over about 2 weeks ago. I had Directv for 10 years.

So far... FIOS tv ok. 

My dissapointment is on the HD channels.

But I hope 1.9 and the snail approach to add channels take care of my concern. 🙂

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I was more than 10 yrs with DTV before I switched when FiOS launched. I have been very pleased with the lineup. There is always room for improvement. Can you give some examples of what you are missing? It depends on your package as to what you may get. Even with the Ultimate bundle and previous bundles, I have saved money when compaired to Internet, Phone, and TV seperate. Here is a link to a good site that does comparisons, and I believe to be kept up to date. Same information I gave in the third post in this thread. Please provide examples of what you are missing? Just interested as a consumer.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058081

0 Likes
rjkman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank god for no contracts.

Why would you not go back tio DTV call them and they will cut you a deal better than VZ. compare apples to apples and you can be better on the money side. Every couple of years when you think your bill is to high call customer retention. DTV cares that you are a customer unlike VZ and will work to get you back and happy.

DTV customer for 12 years, VZ for 2 months and went back....why?  CUSTOMER SERVICE   #1, Picture quality #2 and DVRs that work together......priceless.

If you are concerned about reception be sure you dish is correctly positioned. All active transponders should be in the high 90's. If a contract installer came out they are happy with 75-80, have someone better do it or it is really simple to do it yourself. I have 97-100 an all active transponders and rarely and I mean rarely have fade. It has to be a big storm to even reduce signal.

0 Likes
flyersgolf
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was with Directv 11 years.  I switched because the package would save us money.  Fios internet has been fantastic, phone service no problems.  Fios TV subpar.  Fios picture not even close to DirecTV.  User interface with Fios TV is terrible.  You can not even program your box to turn off channels.  There are way to many channel repeated taking up bandwith.  Verizon customer service is not very knowledgeable either, I blame this on a lack of training and information.  Verizon is trying to make a sale not concerned if it is up to your expectations.  Fios is always turning on and off high def broadcasts on high def channels that are designated full time high def.  The sports channels are also lacking in HD availability.  The lack of availability of HD in the sports subscriptioons is really a joke.

0 Likes
news4catman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too have been a Directv customer for over 10 years and decided to make the switch solely on price. That being said I am not to sure I made the right decision. I signed up for the "quad" bundle. I had "triple play" and added fios tv just this past month. Right from the start I had problems--they replaced both STB-media manager did not work,on hold for 30 minutes and the list goes on. Directv  offered me a BIG discount on their Premier package if I continued service but I decided to give fios another chance. The only good thing is I am NOT tied to any contract so my advice to you is if you are happy with fios SERVICE keep it-if not go back to Directv which is what I am currently thinking about doing! Good Luck!  I might add that Directv has been OUTSTANDING in service,attention to customer requests,and overall ease of operation of their service- I made this switch ONLY because price increases that in myopinion should be absorbed by new customers not loyal customers for over 10 years.

0 Likes