Re: Accuweather Improvements
Nobycane
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are not the only one. The WeatherBug was junk prior to the switch anyways....and it is still junk.

This Accuweather is a "National" overview of the weather and has no emphansis on "localized" weather conditions...like the Weather Channel had...especially on CH.49.

To keep viewing Accuweather and watching every bloody city in the country is absolutely crazy and worthless.

What happens when FL approaches their stormy season this summer? The Weather Channel would provide immediate localized storm watches and warnings (especially on CH 49). Accuweather does not and will not (in its current format) provide this immediate and essential information to local customers.

I don't care whether Verizon and Accuweather are in each others back pockets - but to eliminate 3 important weather informational channels and replacement them with hack weather related channels is crooked and cheap...yet we are all still getting charged for the same service......

* And on a side note... Verizon FIOS sent an email stating that they are removing 3-4 sport channels from "my" package and offering them on another package (upgrade). Again, more channels are being deleted and stripped and I am still paying for the same package service. In my opinion, I believe that Verizon is breaching their contract that I entered with them for the channels and package offerings I originally signed up for and paying. This make 12 channels I have lost in a year's time.

I may just cancel and fight them on the attempt for early cancellation fees.

hitmehhh
Contributor - Level 1

I agree, Weatherbug is not detailed enough with the information you can get.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've gotten the radar to come up, occasionally.  But most of the time it says something about check that you have internet access.

0 Likes
JDavid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here.  In fact, I'm getting the no internet connection message right now - despite the fact I'm on the internet through my router.

I would call it a piece of crap - but that would give crap a bad reputation.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this on your STB widget?

I have never had an issue with radar coming up on widget.

0 Likes
Accuweather channel
pillman

The new channel "might" be allright   "if you could see it". Much of the onscreen content is in a light blue color or other light color. The lack of contrast makes the content difficult if not impossible to see for many people. Has anyone looked at the broadcast ?

0 Likes
Re: Accuweather channel
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you are talking about the current conditions and forecast info that runs along left side and the bottom.

I don't see any issues, but could see how someone who has vision problems might not be able to distinguish due to low contrast.

My suggestion would be to post on either Accuweather FB or Twitter feeds.

Being a relatively new channel they may not have gotten that type of feedback yet.

0 Likes
Fallonjd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe this National Version of Accuweather is totally useless

Whenever I need and accurate weather report, I always go on line and access Accuweather for my city. It is in my opinion the very best.

However, the version being displayed in FIOS is tedius at best to watch. You have to wait endless minutes till it gets to your area and there does not appear to be any type of sequence, so you can not even walk away thinking it will be a while before it gets to my area. I really do not need to know the weather in Seattle etc. from Jersey and I am sure vice/versa. When it finally gets to your area you get a 10 second blurb of useless information as a reward for your waiting that long.

At least the Weather channel was programmed for your city.

I think FIOS would have been better served to drop weather altogether rather then pick up this version of Accuweather.

Papa-Tom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Accuweather sucks.  It has been broken for a long time and still is.

It is not programmable -- I set a new city and make it the default, then when I exit accuweather and restart it, the new city is gone.  most  of the time, hour-to-hour only goes about 3-4 hours. a out 10% of the time it will show about 10 hours into the day.  Many times the entire widgets will not work "no connection to the widget server".

accuweather channel is even worse.  I have not seen my local weather (maryland) yet.  I have seen a lot of Seattle, Dallas, Florida, Texas, etc.  Weather channel always showed MY weather, any time I wanted to check.  first thing in the mrning, last thing at night.

0 Likes
cmcintyre90

Unless AccuWeather can mimic The Weather Channel with having local weather information in the sidebar and lower display, I don't see much value in it for me personally.  Use the main video window to have the anchors give details about cities nationally if folks want to look into them for travel/other purposes.  It also should be live.  It's on a loop and I have no idea when it gets updated each day.  I had it on and if I was not glued to the TV set constantly waiting for my city, I'd miss it.  I had it on for about 30 minutes and each time I looked back, I saw either Dallas, Palm Springs, or Washington DC instead of my home area, Philadelphia (you'd think with their strong NE focus, I'd see it as often!)

They also need an equivalent to WeatherScan.  That was even more local as I live in the Philly suburbs and gave detailed info about my specific area in an instant.  Didn't need to load any (most likely) slow, buggy widgets to do it.  In fact, I can't even use the WeatherBug widget as I use a CableCARD instead of a STB, so channel 49 is completely useless to me.

I know I pretty much just said AccuWeather must become the Weather Channel to improve, but they set a high bar when it comes to being able to see what your weather was at a quick glance.  And because AccuWeather came out of the gate flat out replacing The Weather Channel, I'm not as willing to give them more of a shot because they seem very unprepared in comparison and unable to offer what another network can, one that I used to be able to watch.

But to each their own - if AccuWeather wants to specialize in constantly covering a wide range of cities with their graphics instead of local forecasts, then I think they would better benefit being offered alongside TWC because at that point, it's not really a viable replacement - and since some folks seem to dig what AccuWeather is offering.  Why not please both groups!

0 Likes