Allow your customers to customize their own TV services
JenLea

I am really very unhappy with the cost of FIOS. I don't nearly watch all the channels that are in my package that I am paying a ridiculous amount of money. I think Verizon would do a service to its customers if it would allow us to choose the channel we would like and then pay for them accordingly. At this point I am about ready to cut off my services and switch to DSH or Direct because their rates are much better. Plus I have been seeing random charges on my bill which infuriates me even more.

0 Likes
Re: Allow your customers to customize their own TV services
jemsw1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think the only way to inprove things is with goverment regulation.  I can't think how it is legal to force people to subscribe to channels you don't like, wantl, or ever watch,

I watch very few channels but I do like the USA channel so, I am forced to scribe to the Prime HD TV Plan.  Otherwise, I would subscribe to the HD Select Plan.

Verizon has the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with.  To begin with, it  is very difficult to find a contact phone number. THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBER LISTED ON THEIR BILL!!

I had COX for years (only left due to cost) and they have INCREDIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Their phone number on the front page of their bill.  I also had access to more channels, even if I didn't want them.

I have been thinking of just paying the early termination fee and going back.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are two things in play, but they all come down toone thing: Money.

Verizon has to sign a contract with every content provider. Part of that contract says that Verizon will pay the provider X amount for everyone one that subscribes to a package that has that channel. And it also says that Verizon must take Y channels.

So Verizon then has to come up with packages that allow they to pay the providers what they ask while keeping costs reasonable.

We would all like a la carte (which is what being able to pick and choose your own channels is called). But the content providers want to make sure their less popular channels are out there as well so they bundle them all together.

With a la carte, you would pay for each channel you want. It could very well be that the channel you want, isn't very popular and you would have to a lot for it or it wouldn't be able to afford the shows you want to see.

Even achannel like ESPN might get very expensive if the number of people that say they don't want it were to drop.

By spreading the cost out to all, it amkes more affordable for the masses.

BillKerr1
Enthusiast - Level 3

We all want to pay as little as possible and be able to watch the small number of channels we want.  Our uninformed thinking says we want to choose our own mix of channels and not pay for more.  We are blaming Verizon for this but they may be a victim here also.  The networks are always demanding more from the cable companies to carry local channels (which I can get from an antenna).  Local cities and towns demand fees for the rights to distribute in their town.  Local cities and towns also demand local access.  Additional comments above.  Verizon has lots of folks demanding money and customers demanding low rates.  Almost all of what we watch is filled with commercials.

What is the answer???

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most of it starts with the content providers.
So you can complain to them telling them that you want to be able to subscribe to their channels but not have to get a whole bundle that they want to provide with it.

0 Likes