Any drawbacks to going back to Tivo on FIOS?
jkd

I love my total package FIOS, but I hate cussing at their DVR in comparison to my TiVO functionality from 2003. It appears Verizon is never going to have a programmer use a TiVo and get some ideas on how it could work.

Besides the multi room viewing of recorded programs with FIOS, is there any reason not to change back to Tivo?

0 Likes
Re: Any drawbacks to going back to Tivo on FIOS?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The only other reason(s) are:

1. You will lose VOD.
  2. You will lose the widgets.

You will, however, get a better guide and (as you noted) much more recording capability as well as the ability to transfer content to a PC.

All depends what's important to you.  BTW - the 2 items lost could be kept by switching to a non-DVR box (HD or SD - your choice).

0 Likes
perryke1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got off a chat session with TiVo. The Premiew line of TiVo boxes is only compatible with Cable Card connectivity, no connections with STBs allowed.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@perryke wrote:

I just got off a chat session with TiVo. The Premiew line of TiVo boxes is only compatible with Cable Card connectivity, no connections with STBs allowed.

No connection to a STB is required. Just subscribe/lease the Cable Card from Verizon and install it in the TiVO. Hook the FiOS cable to the TiVO and the TiVO to the TV. What was mentioned was you could also have a non DVR STB connected to your TV along side the TiVO and there you would have FiOS VOD and the other Verizon features if desired.

I have both Verizon hardware and an older TiVO HD. I can't see paying the $500 price tag for Premier and then the high subscription rates to TiVO. My Older TiVO was $99 and I upgraded the drive to 1TB. But I have the Verizon box now and like many things better. There are pros and cons to both.

0 Likes
WraithDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just turned in my Verizon equipment, a 6-series DVR and 2 non-HD boxes, and purchased a TiVo Premiere and an Elite. The monthly TiVo fees including 2 cable cards is about the same as I was paying before, and TiVo has a much better interface. I never used widgets or VOD, I use NetFlix and Amazon VOD (and Pandora) which are supported by the TiVo. The TiVo Elite has much better HD picture quality than the Verizon DVR ever had. I also purchased the key for the TiVo software on my PC and can transfer recorded shows and movies to my PC and other devices to watch anywhere. I'm never going back to rented equipment.

0 Likes