Re: BBC America HD on FiOS?
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Well, I can verify 100% that Time Warner has it

Dish next week

DirectTV soon

So whoever said noone was on during the launch WAS WRONG!

0 Likes
bull3964
Enthusiast - Level 3

@philhu wrote:

Well, I can verify 100% that Time Warner has it

Dish next week

DirectTV soon

So whoever said noone was on during the launch WAS WRONG!

And I can assure you 100% that you are wrong.  BBC-America themselves have admitted that no carriage agreements have been announced yet and no one is carrying the channel.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/316013-BBC_America_Says_HD_Launches_Will_Be_Announced_Soon.php?r...

"BBC America HD launched Monday (July 20) at 6 a.m. but can't be seen yet on any cable or satellite-TV service, the network said."

Also, they have an apology up on their website about this whole thing.

http://bbcamerica.com/content/373/hd.jsp

Basically there are deals in the works but nothing has been announced yet and nobody is carrying it.

Now, BBC-A had been running the HD bug on their SD channel for periods which was very stupid of them and is probably the source of all this confusion.  They were bascially identifying the SD channel as the HD channel when it was not.

Also, I love top gear as much as the next person but we won't be getting that in HD even when the station launches because Top Gear is not shot in HD (aside from the one Polar Special).  It will be upconverted SD only.

Message Edited by bull3964 on 07-22-2009 09:17 PM
0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

So, the people in this group saying they are watching Torchwood on BBCA-HD on Time Warner are LYING? 

Cable listings from their web site:

811 BBC America HD 

Boy, seems like they have it already

0 Likes
bull3964
Enthusiast - Level 3

Look, BBC-A themselves have said that no one is carrying the channel at this point and they would be the first to crow if someone was starting to carry it.  I'm not saying they are lying, I'm saying they are confused due to the fact that BBC-A put the HD bug on their SD channel for the majority of the programming this week.  If they routinely watch SD programming zoomed, they may not know the difference.

And you are going to have to come up with a bit more specifics if you are claiming time warner is carrying the channel.  Channel lineups  vary across the country.  Give a specific Time Warner zip code that's claiming to have BBC-A HD in their lineup because I've looked at several TW channel lineups and none have listed BBC-A HD.

To be clear.  BBC-A, the people that are providing the BBC-A HD feed, have stated that no service is currently carrying the channel.  You can't get much more exact than that. 

And here's an article dated Tuesday that's about Time Warner and BBC-A HD

http://www.opensalon.com/blog/tvjoe/2009/07/21/time_warner_cable_--_continuing_discussions_with_bbc_...

Right from the horse's mouth.

"Maureen Huff, Senior Director of Integrated Communications at Time Warner Cable called today and indicated to me that discussions are continuing between them and BBC America, of who Ms. Huff said they had "a positive working relationship" with to bring the hi-def channel to their cable systems nationwide."

So, Time Warner themselves were still working out a deal with BBC-A for HD carriage nationwide as of Tuesday.  So how, exactly, are people watching BBC-A HD on Time Warner this week when the deal isn't even completed yet? 

Message Edited by bull3964 on 07-23-2009 10:48 AM
0 Likes
annabell

I talked with a Fios agent today,and it should be available by end of month.You must have Fios Tv Extreme HD  plan to get it.

It has just recently been added, and is'nt assigned a #.as yet. So, I'm looking forward to BBC america programs in HD.

very

soon.Good luck to all of you who also into the HD BBC program.

0 Likes
jonahlee
Enthusiast - Level 3

@annabell wrote:

I talked with a Fios agent today,and it should be available by end of month.You must have Fios Tv Extreme HD  plan to get it.

It has just recently been added, and is'nt assigned a #.as yet. So, I'm looking forward to BBC america programs in HD.

very

soon.Good luck to all of you who also into the HD BBC program.

Let's hope that is accurate! I so want to see Doctor Who in HD when it comes on, and Torchwood as well. It sucks going from Torchwood in HD on HDNET to Torchwood in SD on BBC A!

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jonahlee wrote:
Let's hope that is accurate! I so want to see Doctor Who in HD when it comes on, and Torchwood as well. It sucks going from Torchwood in HD on HDNET to Torchwood in SD on BBC A!

Well, the Doctor premiers on BBC-A Sunday (7/26) so we won't have it for the start - assuming the end of the month is even valid.  Let's face it, Verizon CSRs aren't renowned for their accuracy of information Smiley Mad .

0 Likes
jonahlee
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Keyboards wrote:

@jonahlee wrote:

Well, the Doctor premiers on BBC-A Sunday (7/26) so we won't have it for the start - assuming the end of the month is even valid.  Let's face it, Verizon CSRs aren't renowned for their accuracy of information Smiley Mad .

Well I have already seen Planet of the Dead, and have the Blu-Ray pre-ordered, but I would love Waters of Mars to be in HD. And maybe they can re-air Torchwood Children of Earth in HD.

0 Likes
jdsharer
I am in VHO9 (Richmond, VA).  As far as I can tell, FIOS hasn't "launched" BBC America in our area yet.  Am I correct or wrong?  Thanks.
0 Likes
psumatt1
Contributor - Level 2
I can tell you there are no immediate plans to add BBC HD. Whoever that agent was is completely wrong.
0 Likes