Basic cable-type service on TVs not connected to the STB?
SadbutTrue1

I have two TVs, an HDTV and an older one. When they installed my fiostv they only hooked up the HDTV (and it works fine, gets piles of channels, good picture, no complaints).

However, I get no channels at all on my old TV. I was under the impression I could get at least a basic set of channels (local plus maybe the basic cable type stuff) on the other TV for free. In an online chat with customer service, which crashed, the rep told me I needed a cable card... After looking up what cablecard is (something you stick in the box to enable some extra features... I think), this doesnt make sense to me because this tv isnt attached to a box.

I'm not sure if the installer even 'activated', connected or set up the coaxial line in that room (so it might still be connected to the now deactivated cable), might be as simple as having the installer come back and do that.  In any case, what do I need to watch basic tv on this older tv? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Basic cable-type service on TVs not connected to the STB?
matcarl
Master - Level 1

Why didn't the installer hook up the other TV? Did you show it to him? If your original order was for two TV's then call them back. If you only told them you have one TV, then you might be charged now to hook up a second TV.

0 Likes
SadbutTrue1

yeah the original order was for 2 tvs.  So there is some basic free service avaliable? Is it just local channels or would I get CNN, ESPN type stuff?

Thanks for the quick reply.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The ONLY way to get any channes without either a cable box or Cable card (for cable card ready devices). Is to have a tv with a QAM digital tuner. You will be able to get local channels only, if you have a QAM tuner.

Now if your TV really is an older model, then chances are it does not have a digital tuner so you MUST have a cable box of some kind (several  choices here). Either a Verizon STB, Digital adaptor, or 3rd party box (such as TIVO or Moxie, with a cable card). Otherwise you get nada.

0 Likes
SadbutTrue1

What would the most inexpensive method be? How much do those digital adapters go for?

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

$3.99 a month for the cheapest. I can't believe he didn't hook it up. Call them back and tell them the order was for two TV's and he only hooked up one.

0 Likes