Big Ten Network in HD
ghlec10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in Maryland. Tomorrow, Maryland's football game is on the BTN Network, but for some reason it will only be shown on a standard definition "BTN overflow" channel, while Florida Atlantic vs. Wisconsin will be on the BTN HD Channel. Why would FIOS not show the Maryland game on HD in Maryland? Who makes these decisions and how can they be contacted? It will be on the BTN HD channel on Comcast, at least locally. Is FIOS trying to drive football fans away to a competitor?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Big Ten Network in HD
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Content providers determine whether a game is on main channel or overflow.

Are you sure it on on main channel on Comcast? Or do they happen to have overflow in HD?

0 Likes
Re: Big Ten Network in HD
ghlec10
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Big Ten Network says they distribute all of their games to the cable or satellite partners, and that those companies determine which games are aired on the regular channels and which are on the overflow. Comcast definitely aired the Maryland game on the main channel in HD, they do not offer the overflow in HD.

The difference is that Comcast is willing to regionalize which game they put on the main channel, and therefore HD, depending on the viewing area, while FIOS is not.

For example, in most viewing areas at 3:30 this Saturay, the main BTN channel will be airing Middle Tennessee State vs. Minnesota, while Rutgers vs. Morgan State is on the overflow channel. However, in New Jersey, Comcast has flipped the coverage so that the Rutgers game is on the main channel, and therefore available in HD, in that local market. In contrast, even in New Jersey, FIOS is keeping the Rutgers game on the overflow, standard def channel.

To demonstrate this, enter the zip code 08033 (Cherry Hill, NJ, where both Comcast and FIOS are available) into the link below and check the listings on FIOS and on Comcast. You'll see that Comcast is showing the Rutgers game on the main, HD channel and FIOS is not:

http://btn.com/btn-gamefinder/

FIOS needs to either offer the overflow channels in HD or regionalize the coverage so that the home market receives their team's games on the main BTN channel, and therefore HD. Either would be acceptable, but the status quo is inferior to what their competitor is offering and will eventually cost them customers, myself included (although I am generally happy with my FIOS service otherwsie).

0 Likes