Cable Card
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

I'm sure that I'm in the minority here, but has anyone else received a noticed from VZ that there could be some "interruption" with their service for their TVs that have cable cards in them?

If so, does anyone (including VZ techie employees) know what is going on?

I really enjoy using my cablecard, as having my flat panel flush against the wall with no other boxes is my ideal situation, so I hope they are not discontinuing cablecards....

0 Likes
Re: Cable Card
prisaz
Legend

@jmcohen23 wrote:

I'm sure that I'm in the minority here, but has anyone else received a noticed from VZ that there could be some "interruption" with their service for their TVs that have cable cards in them?

If so, does anyone (including VZ techie employees) know what is going on?

I really enjoy using my cablecard, as having my flat panel flush against the wall with no other boxes is my ideal situation, so I hope they are not discontinuing cablecards....

I have asked the same thing last night, and posted a copy to some Verizon people. I have not received the letter, but the copy I have was said to have been received in Northern Virginia. I saved a copy from a posting over at DSLReports. If your read it, it states that TiVO boxes will not be effected. But if you have tuner cards or older TVs, from what I read at DSLR, they may have trouble. TV manufactures may need a software update, and may not bother. No official word from Verizon other than the letter they are supposedly sending. I am out of VHO-4 along with Virginia and I have seen no such letter. I was wondering what the 11.0h software update was on my TiVO, and this may explain it. No Announcement from TiVO just a minor change from 11.0g to 11.0h. I suspect there is something coming up and more news to be forth coming from Verizon. I do not expect any public explanations prior to a news release. It may be just a compatibility update to the cards that is mandated, but only Verizon may know. Everyone has been waiting this year for changes to the STBs, DVRs, and possibly more channels, so it is anyones guess.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Try looking at THIS POST on DSLReports.com.

Also, the second page of  THIS POST.

Here is a short summary:

It appears that in order to support multiple vendors for Verizon supplied DVRs (Motorola and Cisco) they have to run something called Simulcrypt which ATI and some legacy devices do not support and those companies will not be issuing patches to allow support.  From what I can tell, TiVO, Ceton, and any CC devices that are still supported should be fine.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Keyboards wrote:

Try looking at THIS POST on DSLReports.com.

Also, the second page of  THIS POST.

Here is a short summary:

It appears that in order to support multiple vendors for Verizon supplied DVRs (Motorola and Cisco) they have to run something called Simulcrypt which ATI and some legacy devices do not support and those companies will not be issuing patches to allow support.  From what I cantell, TiVO, Ceton, and any CC devices that are still supported should be fine.

Yea keyboards that is where I was reading. Thanks for the post with the links. It would seem that Verizon would let us know of technology changes. No we must read it at DSLR and wait for a Big Press Release about what is going on. But it will most likely be something blurted on from some VP in a tweet, or in some tech editors article. You would think we world hear it hear first. But I guess they are not ready to let the cat out, and it is clawing at the bag. No send out letters to a few and fuel speculation. Make since, does it not?

What would be great is if Verizon was switching some of there content to IP and they released a SDK that would alow third parties to pick up the VOD and widets content on thier IP enabled devices. Blockbuster does it, Amazon does it, Netflix does it, why not Verizon?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Yes. Here also.

"Verizon FiOS Simulcrypt rollout will break most CableCARD tuners"

It also mentions a new Cisco STB/DVR.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/verizon-fios-simulcrypt-rollout-will-break-most-cablecard-tuners/

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Here is a copy of the letter I recieved

Dear Verizon Customer:
As part of our ongoing dedication to provide excellent service, Verizon continues to enhance and maintain its network to deliver you premium service. We are writing to inform you that Verizon will be performing maintenance on its FiOS TV network on or after September 15, 2010, which may impact your ability to use your CableCARDTM compatible devices to access Verizon's FiOS TV service.
It is important to read this notice in its entirety to avoid any potential service interruptions.
Certain older televisions and other consumer electronics devices may fail to properly communicate with the CableCARDTh' and lose the ability to tune to most FiOS TV channels after the network maintenance is complete. Please contact Verizon to discuss alternative equipment options to avoid any potential service interruption. We can be reached Monday through Friday from 8am-6pm at 888-329-5568.
Also, CableCARD™ compatible TiVo® used to access FiOS TV should not be impacted but you should ensure that your TiVo" box has recently connected to the TiVo® service.
Thank you for choosing Verizon as your entertainment provider.
Sincerely, Verizon “

I called and found that my TIVO is not affected. TIVO put out a firmware upgrade that corrected any problems with mine. From what I understand only some older TV's and some older cable card systems are affected. Most should see no issues but if you have a questions, call the number listed and they will tell you if yours is affected or not.

0 Likes
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

thanks for the follow-up ya'll (and apologies for my late response)....

but I don't have TIVO (nor desire to get one).  I really enjoy the "flushness" of my tv setup, and the singularity of just one remote.

if anything, I thought that they would roll out a 2-way cablecard so that users can order on-demand content.

this just might be a deal-breaker for me if I lose channels on my plasma.

0 Likes
StuffOfInterest
Enthusiast - Level 3

@prisaz wrote:

What would be great is if Verizon was switching some of there content to IP and they released a SDK that would alow third parties to pick up the VOD and widets content on thier IP enabled devices. Blockbuster does it, Amazon does it, Netflix does it, why not Verizon?

Unfortunately that is not likely to happen as Verizon would not want third party devices communicating with their head end.  Most likely for fear of hacking.  I don't really see this as a valid reason but it is what it is from the viewpoint of the cable companies.

I'm putting my hope on the FCC's "AllVid" proposal which would put a gateway device in the home which any set-top box or third party device such as a HTPC or DVR can communicate to using standardized protocols over a home network.  This would like the cable company hide any unique features while still allowing third party products to access all of the services available from a provider.

0 Likes
mulfman1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just spoke to my TV manufacturer and they said I would lose Cable Card functionality once this transition occurs.  What they also told me was that Comcast will continue to support the older authentication process if I wanted to switch to Comcast.  I have about had it with Verizon's customer support and treatment.  I know people have trouble with comcast, but I never had the problems I have with Verizon with Comcast.  This is just a way to get more Money and know I have to figure out how to put an ugly cable box on my wall as the TV is hung on the wall with the cable jack behind the TV...Very clean setup, now will have some ugly 2x12x10 box somewhere with wires in and out of the TV. 

Dear Verizon,

I would like the choice to remain on my current version, so I don't need an ugly bulky cable box.

If anyone else, supports this, please reply to this thread.

0 Likes