Channel 501
PMD3
Contributor - Level 1

In Central New York State Verizon uses Channel 1 and 501 (HD) to broadcast Syracuse University Basketball games. The feed is through a contract with Time Warner who owns the broadcast rights but was forced several years ago to contract with Verizon to allow them to carry the games.

The program guide shows the games each time they are on. However the games always start 5 minutes to 30 minutes after the scheduled time (viewers see the Verizon logo during that time and miss much of the game).  The problem has been reported repeatedly and nothing ever changes. This is at least the 3rd year I have been a subscriber and it happens every year.

Does Verizon want to lose many of their customers. I will be switching back to Time Warner for my services if the problem isn't rectified. While I like FIOS this problem is a deal breaker and Verizon doesn't seem to care. Each time the problem has to be reported means  I spend another 1/2 hour on the phone trying to get through to someone which never seems to do any good. 

I have checked with Time Warner and the problem is apparently just someone at Verizon not doing their job to turn the feed on at the proper time. 

Last chance for Verizon to fix this if they want to keep me as a subscriber.

Re: Channel 501
vsu77

I am new to FIOS and have the same problem.  Today's game didn't become available until 12:35.  Very frustrating and the only reason I switched was because I was told that they would show syracuse Univ sports.  Very frustrating and I will switch back to TW.  

0 Likes
SandiCW1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Another disappointedd SU fan here. I convinced Mom and Dad to switch a couple months ago and we're savibng $60 a month from what TW was charging, but Dad said that if the game starts late just once more that he's making me switch them back. I realize that that Fios has only recently become available to the Syracuse area at large, but come on. Syracuse? Could they maybe make it a priority to get all the SU games in? It just makes sense.

0 Likes
SandiCW1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, I know I'm replying to my own post, but maybe next time there's an SU game broadcast on channels 1 and 501, someone could remember to call Verizon like 30 minutes PRIOR to the start of the game so we could all actually watch it on time? I'm posting it because I hope someone else will remember as I am sure to forget.

0 Likes
PMD3
Contributor - Level 1

I'd be glad to call 30 minutes in advance except there is no one to call who knows a thing about it. I get transferred  to several people but no one has a clue as to how to resolve it. Usually they tell me that I need to call the channel provider. When I explain that it is Verizon's channel they say that isn't possible. Go figure. 

0 Likes