Channel Guide with 4:3 1080i TV
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello All,  I have a Sony KV32HS510 TV, a monster of a set. Although it is a flat screen and produces images in 1080i, the aspect ratio of the screen is 4:3. Once the new upgrade to the Guides came out, I can not get the Guide setting to work as per the previous software release. The Guide version I liked was the one that the vertical part showed about 8 or so channels on the left side, and the horizontal part took you from the current time into the next few hours of programming.Now, I can get it so that the newer, crisper version of this Guide shows up at half of its' size on the first press of the Guide button. This was the way it performed previously. Another press of Guide would fill my whole screen with the above mentioned Guide appearance.

However now, the second pressing of Guide take me to one of the new versions of displaying the Guide, where the channels are listed as large icons in a horizontal pane at the top of the Guide, and the scheduled programming for each channel is listed vertically under each  one of the respective icons. I don't like this version, I want my old style Guide to fill the screen as it did before when you pressed Guide twice quickly.  My guess is that the many options I have attempted to manipulate to get the Guide to function as I would like assume that a 1080I TV automatically means the screen is in a 16:9 size. Mine is not, as I said although it is a beautiful Sony set, the cost for a flat panel Sony XBR 16:9 set  was too exorbitant back then, so I went with this "hybrid" set, displaying images in 1080i, but having a screen size that is like  the old SD sets, 4:3. It is a bit annoying, my other two 32" XBRs ( with 16:9 screens) display the newer version of the Guide  perfectly. It is probably something simple in the set up I am bypassing inadvertently. Any help greatly appreciated in advance,  RJ Mac

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Channel Guide with 4:3 1080i TV
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello All, Got it working the way I want. There was a dialog box with scroll bars that did not show up previously, I obviously had not dug deep enough into the settings parameters. Now the Guide functions in the same manner as the previous incarnation, so no harm; no foul. I would suspect there are only a handful of Vz heads that have that odd 4:3 aspect ratio 1080i CRT type set. I'm sure Sony doesn't even make them anymore...   Mac

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Channel Guide with 4:3 1080i TV
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello All, Got it working the way I want. There was a dialog box with scroll bars that did not show up previously, I obviously had not dug deep enough into the settings parameters. Now the Guide functions in the same manner as the previous incarnation, so no harm; no foul. I would suspect there are only a handful of Vz heads that have that odd 4:3 aspect ratio 1080i CRT type set. I'm sure Sony doesn't even make them anymore...   Mac

0 Likes