Cheapest way to get NFL Redzone with Prime HD?
fizz1

Last year: I order NFL Redzone. I even don't mind paying the $50/yr for it. I order through the STB and it processes the order. Or so I thought. Opening day I do not have Redzone. Called 3 FIOS reps to inquire why I don't have it. The last one finally told me I had to have the Extreme HD TV package to even be able to order NFL Redzone. I eventually found online in very fine print that you couldn't get it with the Prime HD package.

My belief is you don't really need the Extreme HD package to be able to order NFL redzone you only need to have NFL Network (this channel is included in the Extreme HD package).

So is the cheapest way to get NFL redzone: $14.99/mo for sports package + $50/yr for NFL redzone? Total costs over 4 months of NFL football = ~$110. Alternatively upgrade for $15/mo to the Extreme HD package to get access to NFL Network and then pay $50 for NFL redzone. But then I am locked into Extreme HD for the rest of my contract when I only care about 4 months of NFL.

If anyone has any thoughts or has gone through this in the past few years let me know what you did/think. Also, if anything I stated was incorrect please let me know. This information is very hard for me to find from Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Cheapest way to get NFL Redzone with Prime HD?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sir you are correct. Only a subscription to the NFL network is required to be able to order the NFL RedZone. Your overall cheapest way to get this is to subscribe to the sports package. This will give you the NFL network (which can be taken off at any time) then you can purchase your RedZone. Please keep in mind, after you order the NFL RedZone its an automatic renewal. You will continue to have this channel on your account until you call in to cancel it.

0 Likes
fizz1

Are there any activation/deactivation fees associated with adding the sports package? I am still considering doing this and want to make sure it really is $14.99/mo for sports package + $50/yr for NFL redzone which is $110 plus tax. I don't want to find out there are hidden charges or something because I am only using the sports package for 4 months of the year.

0 Likes
celticpride1
Contributor - Level 2

Have you checked to see if it would be cheaper to upgrade to the ultimate hd pack for those 4 months? I know the ultimate hd pack includes all the sports channels including the red zone channel and NFL network,plus showtime EPIX1&2 and the movie channel!

0 Likes
fizz1

Not sure if I can just add the ultimate package since I am in a two year contract with the Prime HD. And I definitely don't want to pay +$30/mo for the next two years.

Saw this post from 2009. Have things changed since then or is this information just incorrect? It basically states you don't need the Sports Package to order NFL Redzone. But in my case I do need the sports package. Has the NFL changed its rules, so that in 2009 you didn't need to subscribe to NFL Network but in 2010 and beyond you do to just order and pay the $50/yr cost? And btw, $110 is a lot more than the $67 Comcast quote in the article.

"Thanks to all for the great comments to this post. It’s pretty clear the RedZone is red hot. Let me respond to the comments here.

Our entire customer base, regardless of level of service, can order NFL RedZone. Cable companies generally compel a customer to subscribe to a sports package that they may or may not want for the sole purpose of receiving this one service. For example, a Comcast customer would have to subscribe to the Sports Entertainment Package ($5 per month/$60 per year, and more in some markets), and Dish ($5.99 per month/$71.88 a year) just to receive the RedZone. In addition, a Comcast customer must have at least the Digital Starter package, which retails for $62 in certain Comcast markets, while Dish requires a subscription to "qualifying programming." On the other hand, a FiOS customer with Essentials ($47.99) could add the service ala carte for $50. Comparison: Verizon, $52.16 v. Comcast, $67 and Dish, $? So, we’d agree our pricing is different from the competition, but we think it is a very good deal.

--Eric"

FROM: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FiOS-TV-to-Carry-NFL-RedZone/ba-p/74364

0 Likes
fizz1

For anyone reading this NFL Network IS NOT INCLUDED in the sports package. So the only way to get NFL Redzone is to upgrade to Extreme HD (+$10 from PrimeHD) and pay $50 for the Redzone.

This to me is shocking (or maybe not so much) after my experience last year that Verizon reps are still clueless on how people can order NFL Redzone. I am anxiously awaiting the day the NFL allows you to buy an online package and stream it.

0 Likes
eiVaL
Enthusiast - Level 3

fizz wrote: I am anxiously awaiting the day the NFL allows you to buy an online package and stream it.

you can, DirecTV's Sunday Ticket Online comes with the RedZone Channel feed

0 Likes