DVR without recorded shows is 78% full!
Cagehead

I just got Verizon's DVR service and I am not impressed with DVR capabilities. Is there something I'm missing?

It seems to hardly have any space at all. I record two World Cup matches in HD and it's full. That's not much storage.

Even when I delete all of the recordings, I have anywhere from 56 to 78% full. Is there a way to clean the DVR out and does Verizon have anything better as far as storage capacity?

0 Likes
Re: DVR without recorded shows is 78% full!
Gus_Gutz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everyone knows Verizon's DVRs suck. You can get a Tivo box and rent a card from Verizon, but then you pay to rent the card and pay Tivo for the guide. With Tivo you do not get VOD but you do get more record time. 

spacedebris posted this:

You can reset the reported time if you try this

Go to.... Menu-->Settings-->system info.  

use the remote to type codes

after each code it should say "code entered successfully", code 2601 is the reboot command so the box should reboot at this point. Once rebooted, the box should show the correct usage on the HD.

and you can find his post here...  http://businessforums.verizon.net/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/HD-DVR-displays-insane-for-capacit...

People are going to post that new STB's are coming but so is the end of the world. At the rate Verizon takes care of their customers, I would expect the end of the world first.

1angrycustomer1

I'm having the exact same issue.  My Verizon bill has a phone number that says 24 hour tech support.  I call at 8 PM, deal with an automated computer system for over 5 minutes only to be told office hours are from 8 AM to 6 PM.  Totally frustrating!  Enough to make me say see you Verizon!  Seriously what is up with the DVR box telling me I am at 74% capacity when I have ZERO ZERO ZERO shows recorded. What a piece of crap!  Thanks for nothing Verizon, seriously nothing in the way of space on my DVR.

1angrycustomer

0 Likes
1angrycustomer1

Thank you GUS_GUTZ your message was helpful and reset my box back to 10%.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

If you got a message saying that the office was closed. The automated system was trying to get you to CS. Tech support is open 24 hours. But that stupid automated system that Verizon uses is nearly useless.

Also the new DVR's are arriving now.  Go to

https://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/members/DvrExpansion.aspx

sign in and sign up on the list. When it gets to your name, you will be notified and sent the upgraded DVR. Seems the wait time is 6-8 weeks at the moment but getting shorter as they get more and more of the new 7232 DVR's.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Probably best to get FIOS to do it for you.  But from the Motorola manual

Clearing the Hard Drive

On a previously-used cable terminal, delete all recorded programs from the hard drive

before installing it at a new subscriber location. This prevents your new subscriber from

viewing programming they may not have purchased or may not want to see.

To prevent subscribers from accidentally deleting all of their recorded programs, a

specific set of keystrokes is required to clear the hard drive. Having a TV connected is

optional.

To clear the hard drive:

1. Start the diagnostics as described in the

front-panel display.

2. Using a remote control, within five seconds, press

Diagnostics section; d01 is displayed on theREPLAY, MY DVR three times, and

LIVE TV

3. If you correctly enter this key sequence in five seconds or less, the hard drive is

cleared and the front-panel displays

4. If

. On some remote controls, the MY DVR key may be labeled LIST.Clr.Clr is not displayed, re-enter the key sequence in step 2.

5. If

complete the clearing process.

Clr is displayed, press any other key to reset the terminal and turn it off to

0 Likes
Emerson2

Thank you! For the pst about clearing my DVR; mine was at 91% full and nothing recorded.  This worked quickly and was easy to follow my DVR is at a 0 now.  I tried to call the 24 hour tech suppport but no one answered and customer service put me on hold for about a half hour.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
carizo

Just fixed problem / called verizon tech they had me unscrew and disconnect co-axil and opwer cables for 4 minutes / reversed the procedure and it actually worked.... ps total wait timefor help was 5 mins.... I was scared of a long wait but it was all good

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@carizo wrote:

Just fixed problem / called verizon tech they had me unscrew and disconnect co-axil and opwer cables for 4 minutes / reversed the procedure and it actually worked.... ps total wait timefor help was 5 mins.... I was scared of a long wait but it was all good

Ther is a much simpler way to achieve the same result.  From the DVR menu, go to the In HOme Agent and select re-boot, or just pull the power cord for a few seconds.  This causes the DVR to re-scan the drive and correct the useage error.  No need to touch the coaxial cable.

This is supposed to be fixed in the next release of the box firmware (IMG 1.9a).

0 Likes
aw110

will the proposed solutions (unplug, reboot) delete the shows I have recorded?

0 Likes