Digital Adapter
ecmks

In the Philadephia area Comcast is offering up to 3 FREE Digital Adapters good for the lowest level of their digital service. Does Verizon have any plans to do the same. This would be great for that spare bedroom where you don't need the on screen guide, On Demand, etc.

0 Likes
Re: Digital Adapter
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Verizon offers the a "digital adapter" (DCT-700), but it is $3.99 per month.  A while back they offered up to 3 for free when they took the system all digital, but that offer has long since expired.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

the article that I saw a couple months ago, said that comcast was going to offer the free digital adaptors to those customers that did not have cable boxes connected to their tv's when they switch to digital signal. Prior to the switch comcast customers could get signal without a cable box, however when comcast finally makes the switch to full digital signal, those customers will loose their picture unless they have a digital TV. So they will be offering free digital adaptors to those customers loosing service due to the switch. But this will be a limited time offer. After a pre-determined time period, the offer will no longer be available and then customers will have to rent the boxes. This is only offered to existing customers. Those that sign up for new service after the switch will not be offered the free adaptor.

Verizon did the same thing last year. After the digital switch in april, existing customers that had service with no cable box were offered up to 3 free digital adaptors. That went from about January to June I think. After that the digital adaptors were 3.99 per month, and any customer that signed up after the conversion in April was not offered the free adaptors.

Only grandfathered customers get these services because it is mandated by the federal government. But new customers dont get that benefit.

0 Likes
Stevef3NJ
Contributor - Level 1

From my understanding.....there will be a new digital adapter DCX700, which has HDMI ports.  FIOS is suppose to have them first quarter 2010.  I don't know what the price will be, but having a smaller box with HDMI will be a great thing.

0 Likes
yambag1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got the free adaptors when they were first offered and there was no time limit on them being free. Once my contract was up I  was told they are no longer free with any of the new packages so now they cost me $4.99 a month each. It's just another example of Verizon giving you something so you get used to it and want to keep it so they can charge you for it later.

0 Likes
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

Let's be clear, Comcast's adapters are free, but they do not get all the SD channels, as Verizon's do.  With CC, you get only the "basic" cable channels.

0 Likes
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

another key difference in the DA between CC and VZ is that with CC, you can access VOD, channel guides, etc.  With VZ, you do not - just the channels with no guide or VOD (HD is not available either, but I think that is the same for both DA).

0 Likes