FIOS dropping WJAR TV as of 12/31/11
blong2
Enthusiast - Level 1

WJAR TV is my source for my local news and NBC programing. You agreed to provide these programs a year ago, when I signed to buy your product. Now you are going to renege on your contract, I don't find this an acceptable way of doing business.

blong

Re: FIOS dropping WJAR TV as of 12/31/11
Replete
Contributor - Level 1

Well, this would be outrageous if it happens. We have seen in the past that a major network station makes the situation look grim as far as reaching a deal but then it happens just in time. I cant imagine it would be off of Fios for long, but who knows. Fios will lose a lot of customers if they don't broadcast the super bowl, that's all I know.

I can't remember the last time a major provider did not have a local abc, nbc, cbs, fox station at least in sd if not hd, for any period of time in a medium sized market like Providence.

hodge1955
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just started with Verizon Fios this past September. If this does happen, and they cannot resolve there issues I will be forced to switch back to Cox. I will also rethink my cell carrier options. Not a good way to build  customer support.  

rosea09
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon will loose me as a customer if this happens! Its just not right to try to take football away! Especially during the playoffs. And its my local news station. i will complain for as long as I have to to see this doesn't happen. If anyone has any idea who to contact or how to keep this from happening please let me know.

pattyd1
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is outrageous! I can't believe that Verizon is thinking of dropping WJAR! Cut off the Super Bowl? Are you kidding me?

This is the only station that Verizon can cut? Come on! I also rely on Channel 10 for local news and weather! I will not forget this once the contract is up! Who made this decision? This is upsetting!

maxbell
Enthusiast - Level 1

If Verizon drops wjar, which as a Verizon customer I am already paying for this channel, I will switch to cox ASAP.  The idea of this happening has infuriated me and my family. 

timandme
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is just stupid.  How can Verizon expect to keep people happy without a local source for a major network?  Quite frankly, my family watches a majority of the shows we watch from NBC.  If Verizon fails to carry them, we will end up returning to Cox Cable.  Considering the Superbowl and most of the NFL playoffs will be broadcast on NBC, I have the feeling Verizon will lose many customers to Cox in the next two weeks unless Verizon comes to their senses and works out a deal with WJAR.

0 Likes
Caltrain
Enthusiast - Level 2

If Verizon does not work out an agreement with WJAR NBC Rhode Island, I will cancel both my internet and cable services! I will be happy to return to Directv and a free years subcription of the NFL package they are offering me to return. I thing Verizon's service and On Demand package has been great. However NBC is one of my favorite channels and I will not chose to pay a provider that doesn't wish to carry it for money reasons.

Caltrain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, for everyone that has posted on here, I recommend posting the NBC article on Facebook and tell all your friends that have Verizon service.

0 Likes
JohnLeite
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found out about this while watching the Sunday night game.  I just got Verizon two weeks ago and I don't think it's going to happen.  I'm sure it's not just WJAR.  I bet there are other NBC channels having the same issue.   Both parties need each other.  If Verizon just drops it, people will convert to Cox or some other service.  (Cox is begging me to come back.)  On the other hand, if Verizon drops the station, WJAR loses a big chunk of its audience.  Now most Rhode Islanders would probably switch.  But I'm not sure about the Massachusetts customers.  Do they get the Boston and Providence stations?  If so, they might not care.

In the long run, they will come to terms.   It's in everyone's interest, especially Verizon's.  With that said, I would contact Verizon directly and tell them you will switch if they drop WJAR.  I'm still in my 30 day window and would contact Cox in a heartbeat to get the best deal available.

0 Likes