Re: FIOS dropping WJAR TV as of 12/31/11
wdnll
Enthusiast - Level 1

if verizon drops wjar i will surely drop verizon when i signed up local channels were part of the plan i will gladly switch to cox 

0 Likes
traj00
Enthusiast - Level 2

I won't go to Cox.  I'll simply pick up the station over the air in HD.  What bothers me is that other than a notice on WJAR's broadcast, I haven't heard anything from Verizon.

Apparently things like this aren't important enough to involve the subscribers.  It would be nice if Verizon would send a notice out.  Is NBC going to be covered by another broadcaster or do we lose it all together?

With all the money I send to Verizon each month, I expect better than this.  SHAME ON YOU VERIZON.

:smileymad:

0 Likes
andy9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is really just another retransmission consent fee dispute. The result will be higher monthly cable bills from cable TV subscribers and less local news. It affects all the cable TV and satellite providers and their customers.

Go to Google and search for "retransmission dispute".

Two articles worth reading:

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/technology/200991-tv-station-blackouts-less-local-tv-news-cal...

http://www.fiercecable.com/special-reports/2011-year-review-cable-goes-gaga-mobile/2011-year-review-...

From the first article:

"This year there have been blackouts in more than thirty markets. Earlier this year, one broadcaster even pulled the plug on a local station in the Gulf Coast, depriving viewers of critical news and weather updates as Tropical Storm Lee approached thousands of homes. These tactics raise significant questions as to whether the public interest is actually being considered and served."

and

"No matter how it’s measured, broadcaster commitment to localism through local news and information programming hasn’t kept up with skyrocketing retransmission payments.

Instead of supporting local programming, retransmission fees now seem to be going straight to the bottom line of the Big Four broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox). NBC, for instance, is seeking 50% of all retransmission consent revenues obtained by its local affiliates.

The FCC must take note of this significant disconnect between retransmission revenue and local programming. Despite serving as an increasingly significant revenue source for broadcasters, retransmission fees are not accomplishing Congress’ original goal of serving the informational needs and interests of local communities."

0 Likes
irish11441
If Verizon drops WJAR I will go back to Comcast. I switched from Comcast because I felt that Fios was better, it appears that I may have been wrong.
0 Likes
Dionsa

"I won't go to Cox.  I'll simply pick up the station over the air in HD.  What bothers me is that other than a notice on WJAR's broadcast, I haven't heard anything from Verizon.

Apparently things like this aren't important enough to involve the subscribers.  It would be nice if Verizon would send a notice out.  Is NBC going to be covered by another broadcaster or do we lose it all together?

With all the money I send to Verizon each month, I expect better than this.  SHAME ON YOU VERIZON."

Agree. I blame WJAR (local NBC affilliate) as much as verizon for this dispute since the amount WJAR  proposes to charge for retransmission fees is outrageous.  I do agree, however, that Verizon has an obligation to it's subscribers to provide information on actions like this.  Would also like info about coverage by another broadcaster.  -And will our rates go down (HAH) when we lose this coverage? I'm confused about your reference to picking up the station on HD.  WJAR is broadcast in our area on channel 10, or in HD on channel 510.  Does this mean that we will still be able to see the same content on 510?  

0 Likes
andy9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Dionsa wrote:

I blame WJAR (local NBC affilliate) as much as verizon for this dispute since the amount WJAR  proposes to charge for retransmission fees is outrageous.    

Blame Comcast instead. Half the money WJAR wants from Verizon will go to NBCUniversal which is part of Comcast.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/comcasts-nbcuniversal-eyes-hundreds-millions-retransmission-fees/20...

0 Likes
Maxine4

Would someone please inform me if WJAR will definitely be removed from our lineup ... If so goodbye Verizon .

0 Likes
catcim

I am very upset with verizon dropping WJAR

. i assume I can cancel my contract since they have canceled my morning!

0 Likes
Replete
Contributor - Level 1

We won't know for sure if we are going to lose wjar until sunday morning when the new year starts. I doubt verizon will make any statement on it until at least next week or maybe if a deal is reached before then.

0 Likes
Jodi37

I am from Rhode Island also. My family has watched Channel 10 news for as long as I can remember. My parents have watched it since it came over the airwaves. I love my FiOS, but if I can't get my local channel 10 news and weather every day, I will switch back to DirectTV. We all pay for our local channels, and we should be able to keep them. What I want to know is WHY they plan to remove it. It can't possibly be because there aren't enough viewers! I hope Verizon changes their plan because it looks like they will be losing quite a few customers.

0 Likes